4" spring lift and SOA

76cj-7

Ok me and my dad built this jeep basically from the ground up it was our first project car like this. He was set on doing a SOA when one of his friends told him not to so he bought a 4" suspension lift that SUCKS. It's stiff as hell and can't flex for $h*t. He says he wants to wait a while and let the springs get soft then do it. I have talked to some people and they say its to much of a lift others say it's possible. Would it be better to buy some YJ springs or new springs and then do it or just do it with the lift we have now. Also would we have to do a crossoveer sterring or not. [addsig]

I would go back with stock height or 2" maximum then go with the SOA and crossover steering.... if the soa is done right... its completely fine[addsig]

Too much lift in dem dere springs for SOA, way too high. Get some stock YJ springs for SOA.

What brand 4" springs do you have now?

Yeah, with 4 inch lift springs, you'll be pushing over 9 inches over stock, then whatever tires you add... so your frame could be up to like 13 inches over stock... then eventually... one side of your frame will be 0 inches from the ground and sitting sideways

soa with 4 inch springs is totally do-able.. my boy sam has RE 4.5" lift springs on his yj, plus a 2" body lift. with the sway bars hooked up, you can't even tell it's lifted whn he corners. with that much lift, though, you should go ahead and get a SYE kit and a longer rear driveshaft. you'll also have to lower your skidplate about 2", but that can be done with longer bolts and cut lengths of pipe. anyway, angle the pinion up a little on the front and rear ad tack it, make sure you don't get any vibration. then weld it all up and put on your new tires. this setup cleared him for 36's, so you'll be able to run about the same

But... the soa gives about 5.5 inches itself... if you go with another 4 inches... that's almost 10 inches of lift... AND most 4" lifts are pretty stiff.... in my opinion, its not a good idea... big time overkill

yes, most lifts are stiff. but the spring over will account for that really quickly.. with the soa, you have the entire weight of the vehicle on the springs.. they will sag pretty quick and soften up after the lift.. my buddy's RE springs were stiff as hell when it was sua. but once he made the switch, they rode like factory springs

meangreenyj said:
yes, most lifts are stiff. but the spring over will account for that really quickly.. with the soa, you have the entire weight of the vehicle on the springs.. they will sag pretty quick and soften up after the lift.. my buddy's RE springs were stiff as hell when it was sua. but once he made the switch, they rode like factory springs
IF it is SOA or SUA the weight of the vehicle is still on the springs....

I agree. The weight is always on the springs. Stock springs give the flexability with a SOA. 4" springs with SOA is very do able. Thats what I run. It depends on where you live and the terrain you drive on.
FYI
4" lift with SOA and 38" tires measure 54 3/4" from the ground to the center of the headlights. La law is 55".

The SOA gives the axle more leverage on the springs, i can agree that they will flex softer on uneven surfaces... but when the axle is on a level up and down, the leverage on the springs is not much different than SUA

When you do a SOA how do you hold everything up or do you do one side or front and back at a time???

I live i colorado so all i mainly do is sort of light four wheeling we just take it when we go camping or for the weekends i don't plan on taking it to moab or anything. I just want to have a nice clean simple jeep that has a good ride and can go offroad

i prefer to do one axle at a time... but i support the entire jeep while doing it... i like to be able to transfer the weight of the vehicle and move parts up and down as i need to... supporting it on stands, and having a jack or two handy is a good idea

I did mine the same way snitty did. Jack stands and floor jacks are the way to go.

Back