4cyl enough power?

scicero1

I just bought a 1999 wrangler. Does anyone have any experience they can share about off road trail riding in a 4 cyl? I was told 6 was the way to go, I do have to make the best with what I got. I just wanted to know if anyone had any advise. Stick with teh 4 or look for a 6

I just bought a 1999 wrangler. Does anyone have any experience they can share about off road trail riding in a 4 cyl? I was told 6 was the way to go, I do have to make the best with what I got. I just wanted to know if anyone had any advise. Stick with teh 4 or look for a 6

I have a 4 cylinder in mine and it is awesome offroad

The 4cyl does alittle more high reving good at time but you will notice you can't keep up with the 6cyl guys on the highway if you got big tires but if geared right you'll do just fine on the trails and go further without having to pack as much fuel go for it if its a good deal

I have yet to be left behind offroad by an I6... But I HAVE left some I6's behind!

My 4 cylinder hasn't let me down yet.Yes on the highway pulling hills I do slow down.Off road I never had a problem.

A 4 cylinder is fine off road. As long as you keep your tire size decent for your axle gearng then you will be fine on the highway also.

I have the 6 in my jeeps and have friends with 4 bangers in theirs and we all run the same trails at the same speeds and have fun doing it. I don't do anything that really requires 4x4 but on the trails we go on, there are spots that require serious 4x4 and my buddies 4 cylinder goes through where none of the other big v8 pick ups and the newer v6 wranglers did. I didn't try it because I knew I wouldn't make it but his little jeep made it look fun

Yeah I agree on the grearing my friends 85 yoter runs 40inch irocks on his 4cyl can go just about anywhere and climb just about anything but he's geared for it 5.29 ring and pinion and stacked transfer cases the only part he has trouble with is when he gets into sticky mud it hard to spin the tires fast enough to clean the tred but besides that you will never have a problem

Yeah I'm worried about that I'm brand new to the jeep world just got a cj and I'm told that the 258 may not have too much power but lots of torque and I don't know how much stress a stock dana 30 can handle off road

I wouldn't worry to much. The word is the 35 is theweaker part but I don't know anyone, personally, who hzs broken one

I agree; I doubt you'll break the D30 with the stock 4banger. The D35, maybe (and only if you run oversized tires and a locker or LS and like to push the skinny pedal), but not the D30...

Back