65 mustang issue ?

josue estrada

I know this isn't a mustang forum, but I thought maybe someone in here would be able to help me. Plus I'm not in a mustang forum. Well lets see. Whenever I press on the clutch the car shuts off. What can this be? The harder I press down on the clutch, the more you hear the mustang trying to shut off. Press all the way down, automatic shut down. Any ideas?

Ah I see you problem and know how to diagnose it... It's a Ford :)

Sounds pretty strange ... Maybe something funny has happened in your bell housing where when the clutch is depressed it causes the motor to bind? Is it kinda like trying to let the clutch out in 5th gear with the e brake on?

Check for any wires under the dash that are making contact with the clutch pedal or the clutch linkage. Pressing in the clutch could be causing a short.

I'm pretty sure it's an electrical problem. Does the engine block have a ground strap running to the body and one to the frame? Since the car has a mechanical linkage, if there is a poor ground somewhere, pressing on the clutch could create a ground connection.

hmm. I'll check the grounds. The thing is someone just worked on the clutch and I'm beginning to think that maybe they put the plates on in the wrong order or something. Not sure

I dont think it's electrical since it's a 65 now that I think about it. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the way the clutch was put back in.

So whoever replaced the clutch didn't bother to check if it was working? It could be the clutch disc is backwards. Hopefully the new clutch didn't get damaged

well I was wrong. Wierdest thing happened today. Decided to clean the grounds and wahla. it worked. Clutch was able to compress without the car turning off. Everything works. Who woulda known

Back