Alarm ideas

seldomseen250

looking into buying an alarm for my jeep, one that has has a shock sencor, and proximity sencor. we've got cats around here so i need the proximity one to be adjustible. anyone have any idea on an alarm i should go with?

none. get tuffy box's and lock it up. put a kill switch in and your good. IF they want it there going to detroy everything to get it. alarm wont help.

image-missing.png

You'll know when someone tries to get in

Viper Alarms are supposed to be the best on the market.

I met a guy once who had a real nice TJ. He had a soft top on it and somebody kept cutting it open to get inside. He had an alarm installed with a flashing indicator light mounted in each of the side marker light housings. He never had another break in after that.

I chose to purchase an alarm from Crutchfield. I cant remember all the pricing off hand put I bought the alarm, radar senser and the extended range assy with a readout key pad thing for the key chain. The alarm was kind of a pain in the shorts to install if you live in a apartment with no garage. I went ahead and bought the 150 dollar install card they offered. One of their sub companies came out and installed it at my work.

The only complaints I have is finding a happy medium between the inside and outside radar settings, other then that im happy with it. The total for everything was around 400 bucks.

keep in mind its only a deterent, if they want your stuff bad enough they are gonna take it. Im really attatched to my jeep so I also went with lo-jack.

I bought a Viper 560XV alarm off ebay (new), as well as a proximity sensor (the DEI 508D) and a garage door interface (DEI 519H) so I can open the garage door with my alarm remote. It works great and I can't say enough good about it. It was $315 including shipping for everything. The kit even came with remote start, but I didn't hook it up.

I don't think you can buy a Viper at best buy, they normally sell them installed, but you can pick them up new on ebay.

none. get tuffy box's and lock it up. put a kill switch in and your good. IF they want it there going to detroy everything to get it. alarm wont help.

:agree: I've got the Tuffy boxes... among the first investments I made on my YJ. Not only do they look good, but they are very well designed and manufactured. When the money becomes available, a between-the-seats Tuffy console will be next. Those kill switches are also a good idea, and relatively inexpensive, too.

I bought a Viper 560XV alarm off ebay (new), as well as a proximity sensor (the DEI 508D) and a garage door interface (DEI 519H) so I can open the garage door with my alarm remote. It works great and I can't say enough good about it. It was $315 including shipping for everything. The kit even came with remote start, but I didn't hook it up.

I don't think you can buy a Viper at best buy, they normally sell them installed, but you can pick them up new on ebay.
i bought a viper alarm at best buy they told me i had to pay installation to even buy the alarm so i toke my handy credit card went on there computers and bought it and picked in store pick up, thats one way to get around paying that install fee haha

LoJack is the way to go if you're worried about the jeep itself getting stolen. Nothing beats having a signal sent to the cops as soon as the vehicle moves. and if they can't find it, they give you a good amount of money for the vehicle.

For an alarm, I'll have to agree with everyone on Viper. I've had the best luck with them and would probably never buy anything else.

I met a guy once who had a real nice TJ. He had a soft top on it and somebody kept cutting it open to get inside. He had an alarm installed with a flashing indicator light mounted in each of the side marker light housings. He never had another break in after that.

The lesson here? Get a flashing blinky light and mount on dash. A lot cheaper than an alarm and just as effective.

The lesson here? Get a flashing blinky light and mount on dash. A lot cheaper than an alarm and just as effective.

X2. Just about all my vehicles I've put just a blinking light in there and everyone always thinks I have an alarm just by that. That alone should stop 'most' of the people from braking into there that are afraid of an alarm going off. Some people will break into anything, no matter what though.

:crazy:Here's my Idea: Install a Cheap alarm system that has a door lock actuator output, Siren , and light flasher output. Run a speaker wire from the Headlamp flasher signal and return circuit to the driver side seat. install an MSD High Voltage Coil under the seat. wire up the speaker wire to their respective polarity(Signal to positive, return, to negative terminal).install a coil wire to the bottom of the seat through the cushion just under the seat cover. run a ground wire next to the coil wire tip. make sure they dont touch each other. . and just in case, keep a body bag in the back seat. or if you dont like my idea, Go with SouthTj's suggestion cause no matter how much you protect your vehicle and the thieves really want what you have , They will take it at all cost. The Bling bling light work's. I also have the Mustard gas theft detterent and disposal system if your interrested. just kidding.:grin:

lmfao steelheads! i actually had a coil hooked up through a alarm on a civic that i had in high school when word got around school it was bad news for me someone told their parents and they called the cops and they threatened to impound the car! long story short i never had any dead people laying beside my civic but after that noone dared to break into my car!!now tell me where do ya get mustard gas?hmmm...;)

Crimestopper is a decent alarm... i have one with shock sensor, hood pin, adjustable perimeter sensor, and 2 way pager. I wish the pager alert was louder though. Its like a watch-beep.

But the alarm works fine. I just needed something to make noise when someone tampers with it so I can take care of the rest.

where's a good spot to put the perimeter sensor? The installer put it on my top dash tray in my wrangler... Its in direct sunlight and I don't like that.... Im thinking about moving it over to the center console lid.

If you move the perimeter sensor to the center console and the sensor is a 90* sensor, then it would only capture half the perimeter.

If you move the perimeter sensor to the center console and the sensor is a 90* sensor, then it would only capture half the perimeter.

i'd have it flat. It seems it goes off when a car parks beside or drives slowly by it all the time. I adjust the sensitivity down, and then you can get away with pulling a backpack out of the front seat :(

Some blockage would be nice so its not so fail-sensitive. or maybe im testing it wrong.

Back