Beans or no beans in Chilli?

prariepunk

Lets settle this. My wife likes beans in her chilli, where as I do NOT put beans in my chilli. How do you like your chilli, beans or no?

I have to say I like beans in my chili.

Edit:: Actually, now that i think about it, I like it both ways :shock:

RE: Clutch Question

Beans!....it does a body good! I usually put 2 different beans in my chili...dark red kidney beans and chili beans (which is really pintos in a chili sauce).
Thats my .02 worth...smell ya later! :mrgreen:

EDIT: I also put mushrooms in my chili....most people don't

RE: 258: carb options and a snorkle?

I got everything in my chilli, 3 cans of whole tomatos, 5 stalks of cellery, 4 cans of diced tomatos and green chillies, 2 onions, 2 jars of mushrooms, 4 green/red peppers, 2 jars of spaghetti sauce, 1 jar of sala, 2lbs of sausage, 5lbs of ground beef, assorted red and green chillies, and 3 cans of beer (the other 3 for me ;) )

RE: Sandblaster

Here again we have a situation that says that one's preference for beans(or anything else chewy or chunky) in one's chili is directly related to which side of the Mason-Dixon line you are standing on.

Most Texans do not consider "chili" anything but meat and sauce.
I have lived here for 20 years and feel that I can speak for the entire state when I say that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have been at several chili cook-offs and even judged one and we were told that there was to be only "meat and sauce"
One judge told me "People who put beans in their chili, don't know beans about chili"

Having typed that, I was raised back near DC and still like from time to time Kidney Beans in my chili and a friend from Vermont makes a chili with whole stew tomatos and I think chunks of bell peppers in what I call "chili-soup" Rotell makes a can of "Chili-Fixins" that will make a good ole pot of chili "Come around" like pappy used to say.

I think just as important to what is in the chili is what is under your chili.
I have some large companies that I do an anual chili lunch for around Christmas each year and I have had request for onions, Frito's,cornbread , tortillas, and shredded cheese to accompany the chili.

I love my chilli and have been making this version since I was 15. I just got through making 5 gallons of it! and yes I'll eat it all. . . or most of it, the wife will have a bowl or two, the rest is all me!

RE: Re: RE: Beans or no beans in Chilli?

Beans, beans, the magical fruit!
The more you eat, the more you toot!
The more you toot, the better you feel!
Then your ready for another meal!

Re: RE: Pop or soda?

Thank you for that memory Sully. I Knew I could count on you to bring back my childhood. lol Punk, again I'm a noreaster. BEANS please? I'd eat it either way and love mushrooms too, just for the record. I have had chili with pasta in it, cheese, bread under it and any number of things. Good stuff!

LADY

as far as I know growing up. . . no just getting older (I'm never growing up), I always knew Chilli with spaghetti as "Cincinatti Chilli". . . Just one of the things I learned from my Grandpappy (Who likes to be called Mike, he gets mad if you call him grandpa, grand-dad, grand father, or any other form of the name) Were weird here in Ohio! That's the way I like it. My wifes from Texas, the only time I found a girl who LOVES Jeeps as much as I do. NOT saying that girls don't like Jeeps, just that they're getting harder to find. . . on or off the trails!

Now I'm gonna have to fix some corn bread, but thank you for the Idea 88Wrangles

RE: Re: RE: Pop or soda?

uhhggg... no beans... i got sick one time after eating chilli with beans (for my first time).. and i didn't eat chilli for about 15 years... I just recently ate it again.. and had to eat around the beans... its just psychological

Chili has to have beans in it. Without beans it's just spicy meatsauce.

Snitty, try black beans instead of kidney beans. Smaller, better flavor, and you won't have that ugly recollection while eating them.

Kidney beans are for Hormel.

Never heard of mushrooms, that could be good... I love beans in the chili, but I don't care for ground beef :shock:

Leftover pot-roast, or stew beef in a pinch is what goes in my chili, along with an obscene amount of tomatoes, green peppers, onions, dark kidney beans, light kidney beans, navy beans, garbanzo beans, and any other chili-worthy beans that I might have lying around the house... There's a couple other things that I cannot remember right now. It's a simple red chili, but it's really very tasty... Using the whole beef, especially if you can get your hands on a leftover pot-roast yeilds a chili that is very flavourful, and the beef is very tender... You can modify the texture by how long you let it cook down; it you keep it on a low simmer all day, the beef shreds itself and is everywhere, less time=larger chunks of it... Either way, I like my chili... I like making it too, when I do make chili, it's no less than a batch of 5 gallons net chili.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pop or soda?

Do you really have to ask? :twisted:

Wow, that's interesting. I've never heard of chili withOUT beans. I always thought that the beans were an integral part of the chili and without them, its just meat and juice.

Another example of why not to drink and drive.

Chili without beans ? I have never even heard of that. Around here it is noodles or no noodles.

RE: Non-Jeep question, bu trying to help a friend

NOODLES :?: :shock:

Back