Best rear-end?

CherokeeGuy42

Ok I'm thinking of maybe getting a new rear-end for my 01 XJ. I want something that I can put a limitedslip, air locker, or just regular locker in pretty easily. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my rig tho. I've been trying to decide whether to keep it stockish and wheel a little bit with it, build it to fourwheel like my others jeep were, or the thought of adding a supercharger and bored/new engine. So I'm just trying to see what I should look for at the salvage yard. I've seen a few conversations about dana's and ford axles, but I'm not sure which would be better. So I figured I'd open it up to everyones opinion and why they like them and that way I can start looking around.

P.S. Also I'm wanting something that will either slide right into the stock mounts or won't be too hard to fabricate mounting brackets for it. I can do it, but I'm not 100% sure about my welding.

Is there anywhere I can go to find out exactly what rear-end I have now? I'm pretty sure it's a dana, but not sure if 35 or soemthing else.

Re: RE: what is this??

D44 out of a 87-89 XJ MJ with factory tow package, direct bolt in, next a 8.8 marginally stronger than the D44, has rear disc, not exactly bolt in, will require some fab work, then the crystler 8.25 which is only marginally stronger than the D35

If I found a 44 or 5.5 with disc brakes would that be hard to mount in, since I have drums in the rear now? Would it be worth getting?

The XJ d44 is complete bolt in, no fabricating, just a matter of taking out what you got and replaceing. D44 and D35 XJ brake components as far as I know share the same part numbers. as for the 8.8, you will need to grind off all the bracketry and weld on new ones, as well you will need to get a flange to attach your Drive shaft u-joint to the 8.8's yoke flange and the E-brakes will need a ZJ brake cable to work.

Ok 44 sounds good to me. What about the issue with the locker/limited slip/air locker?

CherokeeGuy42 said:
Ok 44 sounds good to me. What about the issue with the locker/limited slip/air locker?

It's not quite that easy. The XJ/MJ D44 is a very hard axle to find......good luck.

Re: RE: Re: the end of my world...

My friend had one in his XJ which was totaled. So I might get lucky and find that sitting in a salvage yard. Plus there is one on ebay right now if I really want it. But I'm waiting a while before I do this. Thanks for the help though.

Re: RE: Re: the end of my world...

Well, I guess I forgot about the internet. As far as finding one in a salvage yard, I've never seen one and I've spent a fair amount of time in the yards. The internet expands the available search area somewhat.

Thanks for the help though.

Was I helpful? Wow, I'm usually no help at all.......oh wait, you were just being a smartass weren't you? :?

RE: liquid check valve???

When I read the title of this post, I was going to say "antsinmypants"..................but after reading, I guess that doesn't apply.....sorry!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mud4feet said:
When I read the title of this post, I was going to say "antsinmypants"..................but after reading, I guess that doesn't apply.....sorry!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn it!! You beat me to it.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: the end of my world...

It's not quite that easy. The XJ/MJ D44 is a very hard axle to find......good luck.

Amen to that!!

I have crawled under over 40 wrecked and parked XJs and Commanche trucks to no avail.
I am about ready to settle for a Chrysler 8.25.. which is a darn good fine axle.
Also, many folks are swapping out with the Ford Exploder rear axles, they require a little fabrication and measuring, but that is one tough rear end and cheap and easy enough to locate.

I 2nd the above recommendation of the XJ/MJ D44, then the Ford 8.8, then maybe a '97+ 8.25 from an XJ.

Your XJ has the D35, it was all that was available in '01 as for some reason they stopped using the 8.25 in the tow package, maybe to save it for the KJ's :roll:

Some Isuzu's have a D44 rear with disc brakes, but it's a 6-lug pattern similar to Chevy and SJ's.

The plus of using a D44 is the wide range of aftermarket support for gearing and locker choices. It's like the SBC of axles.

RE: Hood Misaligned.

Some Isuzu's have a D44 rear with disc brakes, but it's a 6-lug pattern similar to Chevy and SJ's

That is right, Bounty, I have found a few in the Amigos I looked at.

Ahh the dumb things these kids do.......

You gonna get one? I've got one to match the Waggy front axle. Now to just get 'em regeared to 5.38 and spooled up.

I'm not getting one yet. I was just seeing what I should look for when I decide to do it. But if someone is wanting a D44, look on ebay. There's one for $250 I believe. Looked pretty good. And thanks for the help agian(honestly).

And thanks for the help agian(honestly).

:oops: Just ignore me dude, I can be a royal A-hole sometimes......I guess I just expect other people to be one too. Sorry about that smartass comment in my last post.

jps4jeep said:
then the crystler 8.25 which is only marginally stronger than the D35

While I must say the 8.8 with disc brakes are prolly the best choice, don't discount the 8.25 if you get the right year. The newer ones with 29 splined axles are an excellent upgrade fron the D35 and the perches are already in place. One thing to keep in mind if you choose the 8.25 is your gearing choices will be limited (4.56 being the lowest ratio available).

Re: RE: Lady in need of help... rear window replacement know

Sparky-Watts said:
mingez said:
mud4feet said:

Damn it!! You beat me to it.

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

i already know i have the best "rear-end" i dont need any reassurance ;)

Back