Bestop/Factory Soft top?

Dan9

How comparable is a bestop to a factory soft top? i just found a used bestop, all hardware, only used for 2 months, good condition for $400. they were asking 500 but i offered 400, and they said yes. good deal, right? from the pics she sent me, it doesn't look like it comes with door surrounds. does anyone know if it needs them? i only have a hard top now, so i dont really know about soft tops. thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

• mail.jpeg
    mail.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 738

You will need a pair of the Door Surrounds with the Full hard doors or half doors with soft uppers. If that's the Sailcloth soft top from Bestop, then thats the same OEM replacement you will get from the Factory. Bestop Manufactures the Factory soft top for the Jeeps..I've seen a better deal than that but rarely in my area. FYI, The door surrounds should be visible when the doors are open.

thanks, yea, i believe it is the supertop. how come it says 3-4 hours install time? and i need a drill and other tools. i thought it was simple to put the top on and off. or is that just for the first time? thanks for the replies

what is the diffrence in the supertop vs. the sailcloth? Is the supertop just alot more rugged and stronger?

anyone know about the install time? oh, and eventually when the top goes, i can always replace the top with the sailcloth one, right? the main thing i need here is the hardware.

As far as the install time. It shouldn't take any longer than an hour. And when the new top does eventually wear out. Yes you can replace it with the sailcloth.

anyone know about the install time? oh, and eventually when the top goes, i can always replace the top with the sailcloth one, right? the main thing i need here is the hardware.

Hardwares: you will need a bow, cross support, 2 pivot brackets for the roll bar with 4 bolts, Front windshield header, rear window lower support, 2 door surrounds. here's the diagram.

Attachments

• soft top.gif
    soft top.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 10,066
  • soft top.gif 2.gif
    soft top.gif 2.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 7,410
ok, thanks, yea, this one comes with all the hardware, i'm just not sure about the door surrounds, everything else is definitely included. anyone know a cheap place to get those if it turns out i need them?

The SailCloth is much thicker and heavier duty. it's less noisy than the supertop.

Thanks Mikey!
I had it backwards. lol Sounded to me like the "Super" Top would have been the beefier one. I'm gonna have to replace mine pretty soon. 10 years old, plus I want the tinted windows.

I cheaped out last time and got the standard Bestop Replace a top. I won't make that mistake again. It's like $200 cheaper, but nowhere near as good as the sailcloth.

The sailcloth is much thicker and quieter, and most importantly, the windows are alot thicker as well. My replace a top is very loud, and the windows are easily wrinkled. It may be my imagination, but it seems like it's alot easier to scratch or marr these windows.

Last edited:

If you get the supertop, I doubt you will be able to reuse the hardware if you ever get an OEM replacement top. The hardware between the two are different. Buy a Supertop and you'll have to find Supertop replacement skins.

i thought i could use sailcloth replacement skins? honestly, the main reason why i want a soft top is just to cover from the rain on road trips. i go camping all over and i want the top down on the way there and back:D. i just need something to put on if i get caught in the rain and when i leave the jeep to hike or kayak or whatever i may do. if its above 50 the top will be down and i got my hard top for the cold snowy months. thanks for all the help. and yea jeeper99, you'd think the "supertop" would be better. haha. oh, and mikey, i might take u up on the pair in your garage if you do have them, what would you want for them if i do need them? thanks for all the help guys, ur the best.

i thought i could use sailcloth replacement skins? honestly, the main reason why i want a soft top is just to cover from the rain on road trips. i go camping all over and i want the top down on the way there and back:D. i just need something to put on if i get caught in the rain and when i leave the jeep to hike or kayak or whatever i may do. if its above 50 the top will be down and i got my hard top for the cold snowy months. thanks for all the help. and yea jeeper99, you'd think the "supertop" would be better. haha. oh, and mikey, i might take u up on the pair in your garage if you do have them, what would you want for them if i do need them? thanks for all the help guys, ur the best.

Just for the shipping. You can have the pair for free, granted that i do still have it. i will check this weekend.

As far as putting the top on and the time required... The first fitment will take some time and patience but after that it's not too bad. With practice you can put the top down or up in a few minutes. The windows are the hardest part. You have to remove the three rear windows before putting the top down. The windows scratch very easily so it's wise to get a window roll for storage. I leave my windows out from April to October which makes things easier (unless I have the bikini top on - then there are no windows;)) You'll have a blast - soft tops are a lot of fun. Best of luck - John

Hi I am new to jeeps & to forum. I have a 92 y j .I am missing some parts on my soft top. I have a very old frame and what looks like a decent skin.the parts that go down sides of windshield are missing . also the parts that hold metal door surround in place.I was told top is to old two mess with. thanks Jeff Brock

Back