Body Lift

KULSH

I have a 3" body lift on my 97 TJ, what I am looking for is a filler piece between the back bumper and the body. Does anyone know if this part is available somewhere, I have been looking on the net had no luck..

First off 3" of body lift can be dangerous. In the event of even a small crash the potential for the lift bolts to bend or shear off is very high. Having put my two cents in on that what I have seen most people do is buy a piece of diamond plate, galvanized steel etc and cut it to fit the gap.

First off 3" of body lift can be dangerous. In the event of even a small crash the potential for the lift bolts to bend or shear off is very high. Having put my two cents in on that what I have seen most people do is buy a piece of diamond plate, galvanized steel etc and cut it to fit the gap.
To reference your point and to clarify to everyone that might not know ANY LIFT KIT IS DANGEROUS TO YOU AND EVERYONE AROUND YOU.. if it is not a factory tested accessory it has the potential to be dangerous. Case in point over sized tires (braking distance) suspension lift (death wobble) and your point body lifts (shear point of bolts) so before preaching I assume you have a stock jeep right?
But on another not I was looking for a factory look, Like a continuing of the body lines

You might want to learn respect. :rolleyes: As to your original post all I've seen is what Dave said.
You talk about respect but all you read was what Dave said. WHAT???? You got to love the internet, peoples opinions and everyone's a tough guy . And for respect, respect is earned not taken lightly. I was asking a question about a potential product that I would like for my Jeep not a safety lesson. When clearly you can find fault in any product.

I am not aware of anything that you can buy already made to fit the gaps from a body lift. As has been mentioned previously you could get some diamond plate or some regular sheet metal or something and custom fab something up, but I would think it would be kinda difficult to hide the gaps on such a big body lift and make it look stock.

Who is being a tough guy..? You are new to this forum, you need to show respect for those who have been here for awhile already. He was not "preaching" at all. All he gave was a safety warning, just in case you didn't realize it. No need to get an attitude about it. But arguing over the internet is worthless, so I have nothing else to say. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

maybe use some kind of plastic, like they use around flower gardens? bmw guys use those alot for leading edge splitters on spoilers and stuff. should work here also.

my jeep is stock, i think a 3" body lift looks funny. a lot of people around here have them on pick ups. not trying to attack anyone, just noting because of how the conversation has went up to this point.

To reference your point and to clarify to everyone that might not know ANY LIFT KIT IS DANGEROUS TO YOU AND EVERYONE AROUND YOU.. if it is not a factory tested accessory it has the potential to be dangerous. Case in point over sized tires (braking distance) suspension lift (death wobble) and your point body lifts (shear point of bolts) so before preaching I assume you have a stock jeep right?
But on another not I was looking for a factory look, Like a continuing of the body lines

To clarify my understanding of your response: Yes all lifts are dangerous to a degree and with varying degrees of danger. Larger tires- Most prudent and reasonable people will realize the increased braking distance and drive accordingly. Suspension lifts- If they are done CORRECTLY and with all of the NECESSARY parts death wobble will not be present, and if it does rear its ugly head can be corrected. Body lifts- Over 1.25" they are inherently dangerous, period. Case in point: I wheel with a Jeep club and one of our members had 3" of body lift, we were descending a muddy hill and he slid into a stump at probably less than 5 mph, EVERY lift bolt was bent forward with the body now being in the neighborhood of 2" forward of where it was supposed to be.
First and foremost I was not trying to start a debate, I was passing along knowledge that I have gleened from many of the very knowledgable ppl on this forum. It may point out to you a flaw/issue/problem that you may not have seen.
To answer your original question: I have not been able to find a company that makes any filler pieces for a body lift. You will have to find a material of your choosing and fabricate it to meet your needs.

P.S. If you look at my profile you can see how my Jeep is set up, it is not stock by any means, but I have the luxury of it being a trail only rig. It sees highway on the way to and from trails.

maybe use some kind of plastic, like they use around flower gardens? bmw guys use those alot for leading edge splitters on spoilers and stuff. should work here also.

my jeep is stock, i think a 3" body lift looks funny. a lot of people around here have them on pick ups. not trying to attack anyone, just noting because of how the conversation has went up to this point.
I actually just traded my Z66 Avalanche for the wrangler and it had the body lift on it. I have been reading about the wobble thing with suspension lifts and it kind of scares me a little so I left the body kit on it. My whole intentions were to drop it down but it has brand new tires on it so it has to have a lift for clearance. plus it has the oil pressure problem with it so I need to focus the money on that. New bearings and high volume oil pump.

from what i have read, death wobble happens on lots of manufacturers when a suspension lift is put on. i have watched videos on youtube of a number of different trucks and suvs. i know it is talked about alot of jeep forums though. i have had the problem on only one jeep, and it was a stock Comanche that i corrected by replacing the steering damper. prior to my stock wrangler, i had a cherokee with a 5" lift and never had a problem with any kind of vibes. i installed the lift myself just reading the instructions.

i have reads lots on those body lifts too though, like mentioned earlier about the bolts bending or breaking but i have zero experience on them. i was never a fan of how they make the frame look so low so i never even considered one.

i think if you get your lift, and get all the extra parts that don't come in the lift but that you actually need, you'll be fine. just get an alignment from a shop that knows jeeps and 4x4s in general. i got lucky in that area because a buddy owns the number one 4x4 shop in my area and he does a lot of work on jeeps.

some of the guys are just trying to look out for you because we get a lot of first time drivers who join and ask questions.

You might want to learn respect. :rolleyes:

RESPECT
Apparently you don't know what that is!! every tread I read you always try strong arming new members along with other older members , your 19 years old , it's time to grow up !! :shades:

There's a TJ that I see relatively often around here that is the same color as mine (midnight blue) that has a 3" body lift and it just looks so weird. I won't hold it against you (the OP) if it was on the Jeep when you bought it, but if it were me I wouldn't waste time trying to fab something up to mask the body lift (and as I and others have mentioned that's pretty much what you're going to have to do if you want to hide it). I would ditch the body lift ASAP and replace it with a 2" budget suspension lift (spacers and shocks) which can be had for $200 or so, and if you have problems with your tires rubbing because of 1" less lift, you can pretty safely add a 1-1.25" body lift to get you back to your 3" you had before.

I wheel with a Jeep club and one of our members had 3" of body lift, we were descending a muddy hill and he slid into a stump at probably less than 5 mph, EVERY lift bolt was bent forward with the body now being in the neighborhood of 2" forward of where it was supposed to be.

I also personally witnessed an accident as a result of BL; it was also a 3" Bl on a CJ7. Also coming down a muddy hill, but in this case, the entire body came loose. Luckyly, it only caused broken bones, but it could have been MUUUCH worse...

All he gave was a safety warning, just in case you didn't realize it. No need to get an attitude about it.

I have to agree with Jesse here; it's up to you what you do or dont do to your Jeep, but don't get on other people's cases simply because they are trying to advise you against something they believe to be unsafe.

Here's what we did, aluminum door guards from home depot...14 bux...no rust...paint if you want to... simple.

Attachments

• 100_1798.JPG
    100_1798.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,402
  • 100_2364.JPG
    100_2364.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,756
A guy I know has a 98 TJ that he put a three inch body lift on and he put the tub bumpers on the front andd back then put tub rock rails on the side to mask the gap between back bumper he put a high boy jack right in front of gap and then a winch up front I barly notice the gap any mor he also put spare tire swing arm on the back. With all of the tubs and extra bars the body spacers blend in

I think preformance accesories makes a "gap gaurd" or filler like your looking for if you don't feel like going the home made route...

Back