Computer bypass 2100 changeout

When you say cps I'm assuming your thinking cam position sensor. In which case no you don't.

Ok. I am reading previous threads about the same problem and they keep bringing up the cps if the coil works. They are referring to newer jeeps though, that's why I wasn't sure

There is something mounted to the passenger side rear of the engine block. Don't know what it is but it has one wire that is connected to the wire harness. Y'all got a clue what it is. Here is a pic. It is the small cylinder under that wiring harness bracket.

Attachments

• image-3132744977.jpg
    image-3132744977.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 182
superJ, I have heard the gains you are saying, I have never used the HEI, but know it is popular with the points guys and thought if he already has an electronic ignition why swap for another electronic ignition, but from the gains you are saying it is pretty obvious why. Im running points, and may just try the swap myself this summer.
Absolutemoon, I don't know anything about the nutter deal. Ive never even heard of it so i can't say if it bypasses the ignition module, but I don't see how it could. It controls your ignition not the carb. Im not machanic though.. maybe superJ can jump in and answer that one, he seems to know whats up with the nutter. I really have no idea.
Im thinking the ignition module because I have had more than one go out on me and had no spark. you have spark to the dist but none coming out to the plugs. If im not mistaken, your dist even has a plug that plugs into the control module and it powers the dist. Your dist will not fire if the module isn't working, I am almost positive of this.

69jeepcj I was the one talking about the Hei swap. My jeep had points till I swaped to Hei. The difference was night and day. My brothers jeep had electronic and he was getting problems with no spark so I swapped his for an Hei also and he's very happy. Got em both off e-bay 80 bucks each and there ready to drop in, no gear swap. Had mine for a little over two years no problems. They are way more resistant to moisture than the points set up. Good stuff

I have juice at the terminal from the harness to the dist with key on. Nutter just bypasses ign module to make it think it's in sleep mode. If it's in sleep mode, It doesn't operate any of the emissions crap that I don't use anymore. I.e stepper motor on old carb, eci valve ect, ect. Once I bypassed the ign module my old stock dist woke up and let me time it to 8 and she ran ok. Just need to fine tune her. Correct me if I am wrong, when I timed this before she went out on me, I timed it while it was at idle. I have read with the hei dist, I should time at 1600 rpm to 8*. should I have times it at a certain rpm to achieve 8* and the adjust idle to 800-850?

oops sorry about that.. Yeah, I have read lots of good things about them but never did the switch. Ive been using points for years, I even switched a 79 cj7 from electronic to points once. I find them very simple to work on but am liking the sound more and more of the HEI, I have just been stranded by a module before and that just turned me off to the electronic. I can carry an extra set of 12$ point and not be left stranded. Im getting kinda sick of messing with them nowa days though. Does the HEi use a ignition control module?? or is everything contained in the cap.

I timed mine at 750 rpm. With the vacuum hooked up it's showing 12 deg. Advance. Runs great. Barks 33s in third gear no problem. Not bad for a 36 year old motor

you shouldnt have to time any engine at 1600rpms. I know that sometimes hotrodders will time the engines with the rpms up around 2500-3000 rpms to set there total timing. things get tricky there, because as you raise you rpms you whole timeing curve changes,(how much and how fast the timing comes in) I just went through this type of timing on my jeep and it took me forever to understand it. I couldnt even begin to try and explain it all to you. If you are interested in it you can google TIMING 101, BY LARS, something I cant remember his last name. He was an engineer at GM and built their ignitions systems. very good write up, but it is LONG.

The module and the coil are all contained in the cap. That's why Hei distributors are so large.

That is very interesting about the nutter bypass, I like it. Are you timing with your vacuum advance hose from the dist pulled and pluged?? you should be. Once set, reconnect your vac hose. I would just time it at 700-850rpms when you get it set, reset the idle back to where it was when you started (700-850). try to advance a few degrees past 8*, try 10*. Oh, Its not even running right now is it?? No spark.

Yea. Hei you ditch ignition module completely, and coil, and a crap load of wiring (thanks 808). One wire hook up and tach if you have one. As for timing, I timed it correctly then. Not sure if hei will solve prob or not. Would like to figure it out and have her running so I know exactly what's goin on. Then drop the hei in. Tomorrows another day. Will hit it then. Thanks guys

Tell you what. If you don't fix the spark problem by the time the Hei gets there. Do the swap and you'll see hella spark.

Back