Computer bypass 2100 changeout

I was. Now I'm drinking coffee. Can't leave a jeep dude down. Lets do this.

Last one of the night. With all this horse s**t talk about transmission linkages, brought back a thought. I try my best to describe exactly what happened so you guys can give me the best possible info. There is a clothes hanger lookin thingwith a sliding retainer at the very bottom of the factory throttle linkage that has been unhooked since the carb swap. I happen to see it and thought, hey I should probably hook this back up and did while it was running. No sooner did it die on me. Coincidence???? Don't know. Just throwing out every stupid crappy no good worthless piece of info that may help to revive the beast. Well talk tomorrow. Thanks.

I think you are out of time. Your timing tag should not be labeled -2,2,-4,4. each little line on your tag is 2*. typically the lines on the tag would be something like this... 12,10,8,6,4,2,0-2-4-6-8-10-12. The 0 should be TDC. you should put you #1 cyl on TDC and look at your tag, and that should be 0, from there, advance your timing to go towards passenger side. If you are now on the 6th line then that is 12* and you are too advanced, the manual calls for 8* so go down to the 4th line and that should be 8* BTDC then readjust the carb. OK, I FOUND A PICTURE OF THE 6CYL TIMING TAG. your 0 TDC is all the way to the right of your tag, looking at the picture it looks like they label them 1* at a time, so the larger lines will be in 2* increments, 12 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 0.
....................... | ! | ! | ! | ! |! | ! |

I just started with 12 as a number, I think your tag go's up to 24*.
being at 12* may be why it won't start now also.

Last edited:
This is what I was going off of

Attachments

• image-95325517.jpg
    image-95325517.jpg
    594 KB · Views: 173
That clothes hanger deal is the shift linkage for the carb. It died when you hooked that up? That's odd.... I wonder if a wire is grounding out somewhere

Don't know. Looks like I have power going into my coil but no spark at the wires. Again, not a mechanic over here but that would mean I need to replace my coil right? If so, wouldn't an hei setup work? 808 and I were talking and he had said that they come with the coil. Whatcha think?

Your timing tag pic is better than the one I was looking at.. The 6th line is 8*, but you are suposed to start at the 0 (TDC) and 4 lines up from there is 8* so I think you are at the right spot just started at a dif place.

do you have power coming out the coil to the dist?? If so, then coil is good.
check your connection at the ignition module box. test that you have power to and from the module. if the module is bad it will not start and u will have no spark at the plug.

isn;t that hanger thing the auto trans kickdown linkage
You can go to HEI ignition but I don't know why you would. You already have electronic ignition. The HEI swap is usually for guys running points ignitions that want an inexpensive swap to electronic.

Learn something new every day. I have learned alot of new things I tell ya. Will check power out of coil when I get home. I did not change dist gear. Woops! Will do that as well. I need to wait till the advil kicks in as my head is splitting. Thanks for your patience guys.

I think what superJ was saying is if you swap to HEI you would have to change the gear on the dist. No need to swap the dist gear at this point unless you swap to HEI.
... he beat me to it.

Haven't had to much time to try. Been playin with the kids today. Will try tonight.

Hey 69jeepcj, if the wiring has been nuttered, doesn't that bypass the ignition module? Wasn't sure and didn't know if you knew it was nuttered already.

69jeepcj said:
do you have power coming out the coil to the dist?? If so, then coil is good.
check your connection at the ignition module box. test that you have power to and from the module. if the module is bad it will not start and u will have no spark at the plug.

isn;t that hanger thing the auto trans kickdown linkage
You can go to HEI ignition but I don't know why you would. You already have electronic ignition. The HEI swap is usually for guys running points ignitions that want an inexpensive swap to electronic.

Bro. I can honestly say the Hei ignition is one of the best swaps you can do to the 4.2. Wether you have points or electronic. It just flat out works. Totally self contained, one wire hook up. 50,000 volt coil. You can open up the plug gap and put out a mean spark. I can leave my jeep parked for a month and I just tap the key and that puppy fires right up. Best thing since sliced bread in my oppinion

Back