Computer bypass 2100 changeout

Thanks for all the great info superj. I'm off to go look at a hard top I found on e-bay. It's been raining here for over two weeks straight. I'm over the bikini top. Lol. Have a good one bro.

You too man!

I love my hardtop and got lucky that mine came with it from the factory. Hope that one ends up good and he will go down on the price

My daily update. I put the new distrib in. Know where close to where the old one was. Still have a bit of hesitation of the line. I think timing needs to be advanced (thanks 808). Will fool with it today and keep posted. Thanks again you guys.

Just a side note to anyone who does the dist swap. Be prepared for some "f" ed up noises to start with. Clunk, clunk, bump. Something like that.

LMFAO!!!!! Just to let you know how much better and powerful this rig runs, I just blew out my rear u joint!!!!! This 31 yr old beast has been in smog mode for so long, she ain't use to the power. Don't know about you but my sides hurt from laughing.

......UPDATE...... After replacing the rear u joint I decided to time her again. She is currently @-8 ,850 rpm at idle. Spudders still on initial advance and spudders a little at higher rpms at approx 35-40 mph. I did put the fun distrib in and replaced the wires and cleaned up the dist cap. Still using old rotor cause I can't find one around here. At idle she sounds the best and has the best vacuum at around -20 degrees timed. However she drives like dog crap that high. Now it's just the opposite. She is at -8 degrees times and idle does not sound as smooth but drives much better (except the spudders). what's ur thoughts?

I will check the timing belt later but she didn't have any of these issues before the carb swap. She ran fine unless I went over a speed bump where she would stall due to the well engineered design of the carters.

while reading your posts I noticed that your timing figures are indicated with a negative number (-8), you are 8* advanced BTDC aren't you?? That would be the side of your timing tab that is marked "A", just checking. You can try this, when you find the setting on your carb that gives you the highest vac, take the adjusting screws back the other way just a bit (maybe a 1/8 of a turn. you want to see mayb a 1/2" drop in your vac reading, then drive it and see how it is. I would shoot for 19" 19 1/2" of vac.

You have made me rethink myself. Ha ha. If I am looking at the front of the vehicle, to the right there are the timing marks starting from the bottom(closest to the growing) I beloved the values should be +2,0,-2,-4,-6,-8,-10,-12,-14,-16 81cj7 258 auto. That's the numbers I am going off of. That's why I keep putting -8. (sorry, my first carb swap)

Current vac is 19.5. My mixture screws are out now about 4 1/4 full turns. Sound right?

Attachments

• image-509008797.jpg
    image-509008797.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 134

absolutemoon said:
Current vac is 19.5. My mixture screws are out now about 4 1/4 full turns. Sound right?

Hay Bryan. I was wondering about that -8 also. From zero at tdc with the light on it your timing should be moving towards the passenger side as you advance it. You follow me?

Ok. Yes. Sorry bout the (-). That is how it goes, towards the passenger side. When I shine my light my mark is on the 6th mark. That should be 8

Maybe your timing is advancing a hair quick? The guys I keep talking to on jeep forums said if you get it good except for a bit of hesitation or pinging under lOad, then may e the vacuum advance cannister is advancing to quickly. To adjust, you put a tiny Allen wrench I the spot where the hose hooks to distributor and turn it one turn out or in, which ever way makes your trouble get less.

Did you ever see what size jets you have in your carb? Didn't someone say it should be 47s? 48 will make it hesitant too?

Yea I have 48's. For some reason I fell as though 4 1/2 full turn out on mixture is way to rich. This is my next learning curve I quess. Don't worry, when I get this down, I have plenty more threads to start.

Hey, there is a threaded port off the rear pd the choke assembly no being used. Anyone know what that's for and what to do with it?

Dude just got back from picking up my hard top. Got it for $300 I think it was a fair price. About 150 miles round trip and my brothers got my doors, about another 100 miles round trip. I'm very happy with it. Man three years with only a bikini top in the rainiest town in the nation was getting old. Anyway, how's it going with the carb?

Attachments

• image-3866185011.jpg
    image-3866185011.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 172
Looks nice. Bet that will keep you a little dryer. Carb is giving me a headache. And I think im from exhaust fumes. Get this. I am still tinkering with the Fuel mixture screws and she just shut off. She was idling fine and just stopped. Screws are at 2 1/4 turns out. Man I'm glad I am not a mechanic. I would have jumped off a cliff by now.

Won't start. I pulled plug one to see what it looked like. Left one is new. Right one was just in there. Yuk

Attachments

• image-3612190565.jpg
    image-3612190565.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 154
Back