Computer bypass 2100 changeout

Whoa!! Got a vacuum reading. Approx 20.5 at idle. Still need to time it though

Attachments

• image-1006810560.jpg
    image-1006810560.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 415

S your distributor hooked up to ported or manifold vacuum? I am hooked to porter because when I hooked up to manifold vacuum, my timing jumped so far advancedthat I was afraid it would knock going up the on ramp

no, under the distributor, on the front side, is a 1/2 inch bolt that holds down a clamp. loosen the bolt and the distributor can spin around

Ok. Did that. Timed to -8 @ 800 rpms. Run like dog crap. Idles ok bit when I start to give it gas she bogs down immediately. I didn't even get out of the driveway. Vacuum gauge still reads 19 at idle. She ran better at -20ish.

hmm, what setting did hte engine run the best at?

tune it to the best vacuum and hen redo your carb for best vacuum and try driving it.

try starting it and letting it idle and then pull the hose off the ported vacuum for the carb and suck on it. maybe your advance canister is not working?

Could it possibly be that it should be at 850rpm and -8 and my carb is so out of whack? I put it back where she was at -22ish and she has much more pick up but still spudders off the line occasionally. This thing may drive me to drink earlier than usual.

I put it back to 800 rpm and about -22 and she runs better. Better off the line but still spudders a bit. Could it be that 850rpm at -8 is correct and my carb is way out of whack?

try it out.

i reset mine after i tried using manifold vacuum and i ended up getting my idle down to 650 when in drive and 750 in neutral. my trans linkage was binding the throttle on me and i didn't catch it till this morning because my idle would hang at about 900 sometimes yesterday after messing with it. well today, i really got to looking at the linkage and the idle speed screw because it wouldn;t sit all the way down when no gas was applied and it turned out it was the trans linkage was holding it open a hair. i readjusted my kick down linkage and now it idles solidly and i don;t have to worry about it hanging up. i did a bit more tuning and its still at the same vacuum as yesterday but my idle is still solid at the lower rpm so thats good. i like the lower rpm idle

also, when you have your gauge hooked to the distributor vacuum line and rev up slowly, it should go from 0-about 35 or so. that means your ported vacuum is working right.

I'll check the potted vacuum. I only hooked that up quickly to make sure the gauge was working cause I couldn't find a manifold vacuum to save my life. Finally found one.

it should run without the nutter but won't run good because the computer will be trying to do whatever to the timing still.

i found out why my vacuum is pretty low. when this engine was stroked, the block wasn;t milled to adjust for the new crank and rods so the pistons are a fair amount below the deck height. that explains why it felt like a dog so much

did you find out which distributor you have?

Not yet. Just wanted to get this thing goin good before I jumped into that. I think I can only handle one problem at a time. Ha ha

Back