Computer bypass 2100 changeout

set the idle a little high and get it set enough to run and hten adjust it.

i just scored new hood catches and chrome grill for 50 bucks. the laredo is going back to its factory look. chrome group package.

Shoot, I'd a set you my grill if you could find me a black one. My grill is the last piece of chrome I have. Thanks for the idle tip

there are two CJs in the junkyard here. neither has a grill

of course, zero YJs either

I just hate those modules, you seen how sudden and quick they can go out. After the first time one left me stranded I got a spare and kept it in the jeep at all times. Can you imagine being in the middle of nowhere wheeling and that sucker go's out... Your stuck.

Yea it was like someone turned the key off. I had to look in the jeep to see If my son was playing a trick on me. I was actually glad to hear it just stop and not a lot of clanking and clunking with metal grinding. That would have sucked. Looks like hei gets here tomorrow. correct me if I'm wrong but to time this properly I,

Line up cylinder 1 to TDC
Insert dist and where ever the rotor is pointing, that should be no.1 fire then go clockwise in the firing order. I can't remember what it is but I have it written down.
Plugs will be gapped to .050 now with 8mm wires (oem from a 79 camaro)
Locate 12v source and tach if I want
Fire up and advance timing to 8*-10* btdc
Enjoy a lifetime of happiness between me and something that doesn't ask me to so things around the house. Hahaha

I am asumming you know to set #1 TDC on the compression stroke, so that you are not 180* out on your time settings. As to putting the dist in, Put the rotor on the dist and turn it so that it is pointing at roughly 6:30 position. This is where you #1 should be, you can technically just drop it in and put wires on as you say but it will not run as well. You will have to turn it counter clockwise a little so the gears line up right as it gos in. but when it is in the rotor should be roughly at 6:30 postion. The 50 plug gap is too much!! set them at 35, the 50 is for HEI. the rest of what you wrote it correct.. Good luck

I was talking about the gap size with the HEI. It comes in tomorrow. Thanks though. I'll keep you posted as to how and if she purrs or hacks up a hair ball.

This is a request for knowledge, if you were times 180*out, how would you know? What are the signs and symptoms. I am timed right now at 10*btdc. It seems as though thorough this process with the ignition box failing, every time I remove or swap distributors, the vacuum keeps having to be turned clockwise more and more. My #1 and #6 wires are stretched to the limit. Here is a pic. Don't get me wrong she runs ok, still spudders upon initial throttle but my mixture is not right yet. My finger is on #1wire

Attachments

• image-3929947760.jpg
    image-3929947760.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 143
number 1 wire is supposed to be were the electronic wire with the black plastic is at. the vacuum canister should be over where that black wire from the ecu comes into the body of hte distributor in your picture.

it means when you dropped your distributor in, it wasn;t rotated all the way. what that means is that as long as you know where number 1 is, you are ok, but if a shop does work for you and it requires changing the cap and wires, they are not going to be happy when they try and star your jeep since the time will be off.

Here's a picture of mine. Pointing to number one. Pinky pointing to advance canister. I think you should reset it at tdc

Attachments

• image-3537219685.jpg
    image-3537219685.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 162

As long as I got you guys to fall back on, this puppy ain't never seeing the inside of a shop. (unless I roll it)

the only issue you will have with the way your distributor is clocked right now, is that if your motor mount ever shears the bolts (like my wife's wrangler did, twice) on the passenger side, is the motor will drop on the oil filter and maybe break your distributor off since the vacuum canister is right above the mount.

(your mount is right there, right? my 4.2 has it right there and so do the 4.0s)

when i swapped my distributor last week or when ever it was, mine came out pointing too far over like that and i kept having flash backs of the motor mount bolts shearing on the road but this time the distributor being torn up since the canister was right there. i pulled it and reset it away from the mount

Oh wow, I screwed up. I said put the dist in a roughly 6:30 position ( assuming looking at it from the front of engine.) wrong!!! I was looking at the pic in my manual wrong, 808's pic is the correct position for #1. everything was turned sideways in my manual and I was looking at it wrong. His appears to be perfect.

Gotcha. Thank you. It's like Christmas eve tonight. Got her ready for a distributor dunk and a spin up the road. Will keep y'all posted.

Cool. You know they say if you have an hei, you can throw that computer away. I was just reading about it on keep forums.

Yup!! I need to drop all the unnecessary weight to get my optimum mpg of 12. Ha ha

Back