Computer bypass 2100 changeout

plugged exhaust will cause your jeep to slowly lose power as the exhaust fails to exit the engine. you will also slowly lose vacuum

Dammit!! I was hoping you would say "I think it's worth a try, cut it off along with the cat converter and put a glasspack on there" that way I could show my wife, and she wouldn't realize how much of a redneck I am. Lol. Lol. Lmao.

I have been thinking since earlier and I have a verdict that maybe others can give some of their thoughts on. This may be lengthy. At this point I think we are running out of options, about the only other thing I can think of is trying the #47 jets and if that dont fix it, im going to put my money on the exhaust manifold being the big culprit. We know the manifold is a comfirmed leak, the advance and jets are a guess at a fix. You said it used to stall at stop lights sometimes, and one of the first things to start looking for with stalling is a VAC leak. A vac leak can allow the motor to run ok at idle but when under a load it will show itself majorly. You have prob noticed how the vac effects the way it runs when adjusting the carb. If you dont have power brakes and the big port on the back of your carb is plugged, you can start the jeep and pull that plug on the vac port and I can about garentee it will imediately shut off. Now that is a way larger leak than your manifold but you can see how vac affects the way it runs. If the jets dont fix it, I think you need to look into the manifold. Its just my thoughts at this point and hope others have some input as to weather they agree or not. If you do decide to fix it, 6cyl headers will prob be cheaper than a new manifold im not sure of that but would think so. I would have brought this up a long time ago at the beginning but thought it wasnt leaking. I must have misread or skipped a few post about it. So what are your guys thoughts on this? and fixing a vac leak isnt a guess, its fact that a vac leak will negitively affect the way a engine runs. I think it would be a good idea to fix the known prob before taking guesses. thoughts???

Last edited:
I agree. It needs to be fixed. Stinks to high heaved at a light when it's cold. Can't have my kids in it when it smells like that. Probably not healthy for me either. Now my question. Is there a repair? Jb weld whatever? If not, will I have to remove the intake manifold to remove the exhaust manifold? If that be the case, get ready for a 500 post+ thread. Ha ha

well, I have done that fix before so im am familiar with it.. lol OMG i cant remember if the intake manifold actually came off or not, but the same bolts hold both the exhaust and the intake on. Shoot the things already cracked and more or less junk so JB weld is a thought. I have sucessfuly used it to seal and crack in a engine block and it worked for quite a few years (around 5) so you may wana give that a try. MUCH cheaper than a new one or a header

My fear is what I just went through. BROKEN BOLTS. What a pain. If I get get it sealed pretty good, I'll try the jbweld. I was making sure due to the temps, I wouldn't turn my jeep into a BBQ

Last thing I want is my hot dogs to taste like gasoline and melted plastic

Attachments

• image-16984478.jpg
    image-16984478.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 129
NOW THATS A BON FIRE!
with the jbweld, shove that crap down in the crack as much as you can to seal it up good. I would let it dry a good day, and use carb cleaner to check it after it dries for a leak. the rpms will increase if you spray the leak. might as well check around the base of the carb while your at it just to check.

I lit up an old pile of split rail fence when we first moved in (controlled of course). Neighbors haven't spoken to us since. Woops! Alright the verdict is: JB WELD. The duct tape for automobiles. Will be silent for a day or so. Will let her dry real good and hope for the best. I will order the #47's as a back up. This is a simple motor and should not take 3 knowledgeable men and a knucklehead to fix. Be in touch soon.

Ok guys I'm going for it. 6:45 now you guys will probably be asleep when I'm done. By the way,mine has 47 jets. Say a prayer for me.

Ok good luck moon, we'll be waiting.
808, its 1150pm here but ill be up for a while probably so I want to hear your success story.. good luck man.

The exhaust manifold leak isn't like a vacuum leak, it doesn't pull air into the engine with a leak so while it will help, I am afraid in the end we will still have trouble. Also, the in weld won't hold for more then a few hours as an axhaust repair, I had tried it on my karmann ghia back in the day and it shrunk down so much when it got hot that it blew out.

You should hit the junkyard and get the two piece manifolds from a 99 or so Cherokee and compare them to stock cj manifolds to see if they will work. They are super nice.

Ive sprayed carb cleaner to find leaks at the manifold on the 258 before and thats why I went with a header on it, new manifold was too much. So why did idle go up when I sprayed it. I thought it was a vac leak, but maybe im wrong but why did the idle go up, I know it did that.

Well, scratch that idea then..

Last edited:

Shes running awesome. Haven't even touched the mixture yet. All I did was set the idle too 700. This thing never sounded so good. Thanks guys!

great!!!! we only have to get one fixed now.

69jeepcj, the idle probably climbed when you sprayed it because the intake was probably leaking at the same point, which could easily be a problem here too so its a good idea you brought it up. pull the intake and exhaust and put a new gasket on when and it will probably help it

Update. No change as far a running. #47 jets have proven hard to come by locally. Have to order them online. Could take a few days to get in. Be in touch

Back