Dana 35...

houtexs

Honestly, how weak is the Dana 35 rear axle? I just lifted my 02' TJ and put on 305/70/16's and I am curious as to how it is going to act on a trail. I do moderate off roading mainly mud and some medium trails but I have seen different articles about what the 35 can handle. Can anyone tell me what I should and shouldn't do with this setup?

Thanks,

HouTexs

I had a 35 in my TJ was lifted 4" and on 33s..I never had any problems with it. It should hold up well if ya don't beat on it.

just because you had it, and never had a problem with it doesn't make it reliable. but, like you said, "don't beat on it." driving style will have a LOT to do with any axle holding up. i wouldn't run anything bigger than 33's on a 35, and even then, i'd be extremely careful.

what do you really want to know though? are you going to consider an axle swap depending on how bad someone bashes the d35? or are you just going to suck it up? honestly, a little common sense goes a long way.

i'm not speaking from experience, never owned a rig with a d35, but i'd say lock at your own risk. again, terrain you drive in, and the way in which you drive make a lot of difference. one of our local jeepers locked his 35 and never ran into a problem, but again, that doesn't make it a good idea.

nica89yj said:
How about a D35 with a locker on 33s? And hard but not crazy driving?
Like mentioned above, what do you want to hear? Can we say it won't break? No we can't. Can we say it's guaranteed to break and you should carry spare shafts? Can't do that either.

Best advice I can think of is to pick up a spare set of axleshafts and become familiar with what's needed to swap them on the trail. Then if you ever have problems, you'll have the skill and parts to get off the trail and possibly home, for an upgrade to a heavier axle at a later date.

I wouldn't waste my money putting a locker in d35,save your money to do a axle upgrade then lock it.just my 2 cents.

i just blew mine up. being hard (stupid) on it. knocked 7 of the spider gears teeth out.

really the only way you are going to break that axle is if your are trying to do alot of hardcore rock crawling, ive got an xj and it has a 35 under it and i havent broken anything...................yet but you should be ok with your set up

Like stated above, we can't tell you whether it will break or not. Some people just drive harder than others. The important thing is knowing what to do if it do if it does break.
If you have a C-clipped axle then you need to repair it on the spot or have it towed with that axle off the ground. People who don't know any better find out the hard way that a broken C-clip axle will walk itself right out of the housing. They usually don't realize it until they get back on the pavement and start to make a turn. Then you notice the tire, wheel, axle and everything coming out. It can get dangerous for you and others.
All that confirms what Bounty said, run it, but carry spares and know how to fix it if it breaks.
With that said, I would not be scared at all to run a locked D35 with 305's. I just wouldn't pound it as hard as I do my CJ with one tons.

The argument is not if its going to break but when.
The Dana 35 is an inherently weak axle. The axle shafts are a known breaking point as is the axle housings.
But if your aware of the limitations of this axle and drive accordingly you should get an excellent life out of this axle.

Locking this axle with an ARB or any other traction adding devise, will not spell its doom, if you once again, know the limitations and drive with-in it. It will give many of years good service.

If your going to do some heavy off-roading, your going to break this axle even with super 35 axle shafts and a truss, period. This axle is Jeeps weakest link in there wrangler/Cherokee program. For on road driving it will hold up just fine, but even a simple tire spin on a snowy road then hitting a dry patch can break this axle.

For us out in slick rock country, we all carry spare axles even those of us with Dana 44's.

houtexs I would suggest you carry spare axles when you venture out, but every one of us should be doing that along with U-joints and other replacement parts.
You can find a cheap set at any wrecking yard for 25$ or so. And 25$ is cheap for a little peace of mind.

I dont think there saying its bad to lock a D35, but since its known to break putting a locker will only increase chances for disaster. Jeep or ford axles are really hard to come by in Nicaragua swaping in a ford 8.8 would mean shipping it from the states and that makes it really expensive. What other vehicle could donate an axle thats strong? and still keep the swap fairly simple.(toyota,nissan,mazda, any other jap 4x4 wanna be)

nica89yj said:
What other vehicle could donate an axle thats strong? and still keep the swap fairly simple.(toyota,nissan,mazda, any other jap 4x4 wanna be)
Isuzu Dana 44 from a '93+ Amigo, has disc brakes.

ive blown 2 up so far, and i haven even added to much horsepower. when i do my head swap i plan on going with 44's then i dont have to worry about blowing up on the trail

How wide is the izuzu danan 44? is it the same or wider than a dana 35 on a 91 yj? if so im gona go for it.(rear disc!!!)

Other options would be a ford 8.8 from a Ford Explorer, a D44 from an XJ, or a Chrysler 8.25 from a newer XJ (one with 29 spline shafts).

The 8.8 would have discs too.

Newer Mazda SUV's will have the 8.8 with disc in the rear, since you're in Nicaragua. Same lug pattern and only slightly narrower than the stock Wrangler axle.

The Rodeo D44 is the same width of the D44 or slightly narrower. I'll measure. It's slightly narrower than my Waggy front D44.

nica89yj said:
Jeep or ford axles are really hard to come by in Nicaragua swaping in a ford 8.8 would mean shipping it from the states and that makes it really expensive.

Oops, Sorry I missed that :roll:

So what would a fair price be for the labor to swap out the 35 to the 44? Just trying to get an idea as to what I should expect.

HouTexs

Back