f-L-e-X questions

unmlobo

RE: really rough ride

Hey, im looking at a 4" lift for my 93 YJ, thinking about 33's but will a smaller tire have ANY benefit, like say 31's??????? Also tire rub, are new wheels a must (backspacing). Hit me back gangstas, lmao.

If you keep the stock gearing, then smaller tires will benefit power and gas mileage. Also they are cheaper. However, big tires do have benefits too (looks, performance offroad). I would go with the 33's...31's would look kinda akward. I don't know about the wrangler wheels, though.

RE: really rough ride

33" tires rub on most 4" YJ lifts and are usually complimented with either a 1" body lift or TJ fender flares for extra clearance.

What engine do you have, and what axle gear ratio?

I need a "how to" on replacing a 97 TJ clutch!

Depending on gear ratio the 33" are a great choice. With a 4" lift there shouldn't be any rubbing but a 2" body lift is nice and looks good in addition.

The big thing, with your thread title as 'flex';. Then, go with Revolver Shackles, sway disconnects, do away with the track bars, (keep the front sway bar), and with longer brake lines and such and the mods mentioned you should get flex like this:

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Good luck in your mods and let us know hee how and what you do.

I'd go with 33's definately. This way it gives you the option of lifting it even more very cheaply with shackles or add a leafs and not have to worry about having to buy new tires because your 31's are too small. As for revolvers, I'm running them both front and rear (soon to be rear only) and I wouldn't recommend running them on the front unless you want to severly sacrafice your steering and handling. If you're looking for "flex" with an approximate 4" lift (more like 5-6"), then I'd go spring over. It'll give you more flex than a regular suspension lift and you can always add more lift later if you want.

RE: 15" wheels on discs made for 16" wheels

if you want just flex, go revolvers like robrt said, weve had this disucssion here before. if you want trail capability without the chances of random unloading and the scary body roll, go soa. i know robrt hasnt had problems with his revolvers yet, but i know people who have had problems with them unloading at the wrong time and have many a horror story about the aftermath

I'm surprised no one has suggested 32" tires. It is a great comprimise on height and width, it would be better with stock gears, and a 3.5" or 4" lift will easily clear them with no other mods. Wheels with 4.0-4.5" backspacing would be ideal, but you can use stock 8" or even stock 7" wheels if you adjust your steering stops a bit.

3.5" BDS suspension with 32" BFG's on stock 15x7 wheels:
image-missing.png

I later added another 1/2" of lift via 5" long shackles (4" is stock length), but that was not because I needed the lift, the military wraps on the springs were hitting the rear cross member. Looking back, I should have just trimmed the top off of the military wrap instead but hey hindsight is 20/20.

Not the best flex pic, but this is before I added the shackles and at 3.5" of lift the front tire is completely stuffed with no rubbing. I did adjust the steering stops slightly (to avoid rubbing the leaf springs) but 4-4.5" backspacing would correct that:

image-missing.png

Rough Ride

i ran 32x11.5 BFG a/t's on my 91 w/a 4" lift and NEVER had a problem and performed well despite the pro-comp lift.... the 33x12.5's on my 89 rub the inner well under full load in the rear (darn bump stop extensions mysteriously "disappeared".... ) but i've also trimmed the heck out of the flares... either is a good choice but i remember wanting 33's after doing the 32's on my last jeep... just my $.02

I have 33's on my 91 YJ with 4" of lift. They did rub the springs, but I adjusted the steering so they don't anymore.

RE: Unlimited Rubi, Hemi, 37

yea... i had to adjust my steering stops on the 91 w/the stock 7" alloy rims to keep it from rubbing the springs... but the offset is greater on myaftermarket rims on the 89 so i didnt have to mess with it...

RE: Re: RE: Unlimited Rubi, Hemi, 37

LVRockCrawler said:
i remember wanting 33's after doing the 32's on my last jeep... just my $.02

it's only 1/2" of ground clearance more.

Back