Help Me PLEASE

jtoelke

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I just recieved a 1984 Jeep CJ7. Here are the details: The CJ is a 1984. It has a Chevy 305 motor that runs strong and pushes a Chevy sm465 transmission. The 4 wheel drive is powered by a Dana 300, chevy 305 motor, edelbrock intake w/ edelbrock 650 carb, power steering, optra battery, Dual exhaust system, 3.5 lift, 33x12.50 newer tires and wheels.

Here is my problem. This was obviously used as an offroad toy. The guy took great care of it and it looks good. However, I want to run around on the weekend and just have fun driving this thing on the road. First of all i think the gearing is set for offroad because (well it just is). Anytime I drive it around 50 MPH it just doesn't feel good. 1st gear seems like it has a max speed of 5mph. It also seems to hop around a little on the road and has some play in the steering wheel.
I guess what I'm asking here is what can I do to make this more road worthy? CHange the gearing? Lower it a bit?
I know i probably sound like an idiot, but I i'm just not very mechanical. I need some advise on what to do here. Sell it, or have the work done? It's a really cool jeep and looks and runs great! Any idead about what this may cost? I am in Cincinnati Ohio.

My apologies for sounding lost, but I am!

The SM465 has a very low first gear that is basically useless onroad, you will need to start in 2nd and drive it as a 3spd onroad.

If you want to run lower RPM's at higher speeds, you will need a taller axle gear or an overdrive transmission. Before we can give decent advice, we would need to know your current axle gear ratio.

As far as the play in the steering wheel, CJ's are notorious for it. Fixes include new steering linkage, new steering box, tight shaft from column to steering box. '99 Dodge Durango is a good donor vehicle for a steering box.

Thank You for the reply. I will see what I can find about the gear ratio. Any idea on what a change like that may cost? Also, does the 3 1/2 lift make driving at faster speeds more difficult as well?

Slightly as you're pushing more air.

Regearing at a shop can usually run between $500-$800 per axle, or more. I have a friend do mine for a little under $200 an axle if I supply the parts.

Sounds like you have an offroad beast. Bounty was right, the 465's 1st is very low. If it hops around the road while you turn, you may have a locker. I don't know if that's what you meant, though.
If I were you, I would keep it the way it is and just wheel it.

Any pictures... :D

I had a couple 465's in vaious trucks, some swapped in some factory. You do not use what we are calling first gear, in reality it is Low not first but what ever. When on the highway with that transmission and motor, not sure on axle gearing, but in my blazer with that setup and 4.11:1 gears I would be at 2800 rpm's at about 65-70 mph, with shifting into the third gear on inclines.

Back