intake restrictor on YJ?

nrthshrguy

Can anyone tell me more about removing the intake restrictor box on an '88 YJ w/ an I.6? What does it do? What are the benefits of removal?

Thanks. :-O [addsig]

it simply allows the air to flow more freely into the intake... it is put there for sound reasons, to keep the valve noise and air noise from coming from the engine compartmet... it restricts the flow of air in the intake tube and when removed, opens the tube's diameter at that point.... much like "porting" the intake tube[addsig]

Welcome Nrth...you should read the link..it tells you all you need to know.

I've been told that this mod can be done on the '91 thru '95 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engines! I don't know if it can be done on later years, but check out your 4 clyinder and let me know if you can do the mod on your vehicle.

Let me know how it goes......

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

no, I have a 2.5 L HIGH OUTPUT!!!! he,he,he,he,he..... I removed both of my restrictors and it provided a noticeable difference. It is nothing major, but it gave me a little bit more horsepower. I can tell a difference when accelerating from a stand still. works good and is very easy to do.[addsig]

this... while teamed up with a K&N filter will help you a bit.... but if you want to really get the best from your intake... get yourself a cone intake... or better yet... a snorkel[addsig]

Well snitty,I know I am a little late since you have just past the 2000 post mark.So here you go,here is snitty's first post.And to think his first post was answering a question rather than asking the question.What a helpful guy. :) Sully

<----------FEELS STUPID

Oh boy,do I ever feel stupid.....this is from July 20,2003. :lol: :lol: Sorry snitty.Disregard the post from above.

Why can't I post in that thread??? and now I forgot what I was going to ask

I´m not gonna make any blanket statements about most any Jeep. But on the round type filter, isn´t the restrictor, part of the scavenger tube for the valve cover (Crankcase ventilation system)?

actually, i do remember my first post... it was answering a question about a tcase output seal

I removed the restrictor from my 95YJ 2.5L - it takes all of 10 minutes. It creates a very minor difference in performance but anything is good especially in the 4 banger. I also converted my 15g tank to 20g in the same evening. That took about hour and a half. My first fillup was 19.3 gallons!! (just in case your looking for a free mod). I could actually never get more than 13g prior to the conversion.

any time you can do any thing to improve the flow in and out of air to the and from the engin you will benifit as long as the exaust maintains the proper amount of back presure. The cone removal I have never experenced because my YJ didn't have one to start with. However the addition of a K&N in the orginal air box made a very noticeable difference in power and mileage. Good luck it this simple mod. Worth every second you spend maken it. There are on bad side to the story. tug

rtoney9 said:
no, I have a 2.5 L HIGH OUTPUT!!!! he,he,he,he,he..... I removed both of my restrictors and it provided a noticeable difference. It is nothing major, but it gave me a little bit more horsepower. I can tell a difference when accelerating from a stand still. works good and is very easy to do.[addsig]

Both restrictors? What restrictor can you remove besisdes the airflow@the filter box?

there is another one going into the box from the front, it looks just about the same as the other one.

On my '91 4.0 I removed the actual "air horn" coming from the front of the air box into the back of the grill area to attempt more air flow. Have not noticed any major performance changes... does anyone know if this could be harmful?

WOW, I just removed both restrictors and went for a spin in my neighborhood...I got a large amount of difference in acceleration...gonna check out the highway a little later and see if I can go a little faster....very easy mod suggest it to everyone

I just removed the one at the rear of my box, I looked for the one in the front, and it either isn't on a '95 2.5L, or it has already been removed. Anybody know which of these is more likely :? ? I'm gonna go give it a spin... :D

Back