Intake Suggestions

Operation 4x4

I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler.
Ever since i bought the Jeep, the air intake has been somewhat messed up. First off i looked at other friends' jeeps and found that my intake is facing the total opposite. There is a little tube coming up from engine, and no hole on the air pipe. Well there is a hole but its on the other side. Meaning that the intake was maybe placed backwards. Idk if i can turn it around though.
Any help? What should i do?

I honestly don't think you can flip the intake any other way to make it work especially on an I6. If you could take a pic. of it and post it, that would be helpful.

That sounds like an odd problem...

One obvious fix is to just replace it with something better. You have a couple options with this route. Option A, you can spend $150 or more and buy an aftermarket performance intake. If you want to spend that much, this is the easiest option. Option B, you can get some 3" pipe and a good conical filter and make your own performance intake; I picked Option B and it cost me about $60 total. I also swapped to a bigger throttle body, but I'm running the 2.5L; with your 4.0L the stock TB would be fine (in fact, the 4.0L TB is the one I swapped to.)

With both of those mods together I noticed a small but nice increase in torque and horsepower, and much better throttle response. Another plus, if you buy/build a short ram intake, you can do away with the OEM airbox and free up some space under the hood for an accessory you might want to add someday, like an onboard air compressor or such.

Either way, it would probably be cheaper than replacing the OEM intake.

Back