Lockers and gears

In the end it's all up to you it's whatever you want to do. It just depends on what you want to do with your jeep, if you are not planning on running any bigger than 36 or maybe 37s then yeah an 8.8 would benefit you . I know exactly how you feel I'm a 19 year old college student, and oh yeah they quit Makin ford 9 inches a long time ago !! Lol :)

That's not to say you cant find a 9 inch :p
So what axle is int the rear of an 06 F150? It isn't an 8.8 is it? But I don't think I'm ever going to put anything bigger then 37's on this jeep, my next tire upgrade will be up to 33's from the 32's I know not a big step but taking it small parts at a time, then from 33's to 35's and then the next set after I wear down the 35's will be 37's money permitting. So I think after running the d35 till it breaks I'll put in an 8.8 then I'll have disc brakes all the way around :D

TheGhost45 said:
So what axle is int the rear of an 06 F150? It isn't an 8.8 is it? But I don't think I'm ever going to put anything bigger then 37's on this jeep, my next tire upgrade will be up to 33's from the 32's I know not a big step but taking it small parts at a time, then from 33's to 35's and then the next set after I wear down the 35's will be 37's money permitting. So I think after running the d35 till it breaks I'll put in an 8.8 then I'll have disc brakes all the way around :D

Should have 60s

TheGhost45 said:

There is an 8.8 in it. No bigger than 37s an 8.8 should be fine just don't be scared of other axles such as the 9 inch people make it sound scary to rebuild them but really it isn't any harder than any other rear end... Don't be intimidated by what people say!!!! I learned that a long time ago

I know a guy whose running stock Rubicon D44's and has no trouble turning 37's

I never said a Rubicon could not run 37's all I said was that if you find a person selling rubicon 44's they are really proud of em. If you can afford them go ahead. I could rebuild a front and rear end almost for the price of a rubicon 44, let alone front and rear rubicon 44's.

Oh sorry! Huge confusion, no I don't think there's 60's under F150s but under the F250 + then yeah I can understand that cause I know F350's have em I'm sure.

TheGhost45 said:
Oh sorry! Huge confusion, no I don't think there's 60's under F150s but under the F250 + then yeah I can understand that cause I know F350's have em I'm sure.

Thats what he asked for a 250

TheGhost45 said:

Yes you are right F150s have 8.8s everything up has 60 and I think even 70s

I asked about an 06 F150 but no problems :)
I think with some of the upgrades I'm planning on doing are really going to help the tires turn but I think it might demolish the 35 faster oh well just means I can look forward to an 8.8 and no worries :) lol!
I want to add a comp cam xtreme 4x4 Jo mag did a sweet review, I have an AEM brute force air intake and I want to do a cat back exhaust and of course if forcing more air into the engine you need more spark to get the bigger combustion, so I'm going to add the performance distributers live wire kit, what do you guys think? :) doesn't even cost over 1000 and it will put my torque up past 200 :D

8.8's are dime a dozen, if your not finding them for $100-150, you probably not looking the right place. Go to a junk yard and ask them if you pull the axle how much, they will give you some BS price, tell them, I'll give you $100, 99.995% of the time, they will say fine.

The 8.8 (and D44) are good axles, I personally would not go larger than 38" tire with them all built up, but I do wheel with a guy who has a mild built 302 running a 8.8 rear and runs a 37" red label tire. he has one season on this set up and has not blown the rear up yet.

D35 is simply not worth any investment, I know people who wheeled stock D35 with 35" tires for a while and did not break them for a while.. but that is for a while, simply put the design of the D35 is not up to what we expect from a wheelable axle.

D44's from first gen rubi's are not that much of an upgrade over stock TJ axles and are very pricey for some reason. the only advantage the rubi D44 front has over the D30 is the ring gear size and the spline count on the shafts. the U-joints, which are the weakest point, are still the same, as is the unit bearing, inner and outer castings, pinion yoke etc.. Gen 2 D44's are a slight inprovement from the first gen, but they are not with out issues. seen a number of jk D44's bend where the long tube presses into the diff and at the inner castings. again, the D44 front still uses all the D30 outer parts.

If I were you, find a 8.8 or d44 for the rear, keep your front, just swap in TJ shafts and a new Pass. side diff seal and wheel, you'll be more than fine with a 32-33" tire.

for lockers, Aussie lockers are in my opinion the best lunch box locker, I would avoid lock-rites like the plague.

Wow great response thanks man! When I get money together that's what I'll do! Do they make and Aussie locker for an 8.8 rear?

One thing to keep in mind is if you go with dana 60's or 70's your going to loose ground clearance vs dana 44's. Not sure the exact amount but believe is between and inch or two. Dana 44's will handle 37" tires no prob!~ Unless running nitrous and 700hp! Not sure on the Aussie but we sell Arb's for 8.8 rears.

mattduran said:
One thing to keep in mind is if you go with dana 60's or 70's your going to loose ground clearance vs dana 44's. Not sure the exact amount but believe is between and inch or two. Dana 44's will handle 37" tires no prob!~ Unless running nitrous and 700hp! Not sure on the Aussie but we sell Arb's for 8.8 rears.

I dont know alot about aussie either but ox is really tough to

I not a fan of OX lockers, they have a tendency of engaging and disengaging spontaniously and the suspension flexes, the cable will move slightly and pull the locker out of engagement. My preference is either full spools or detriots, the only selectable locker I like is the ARB.

Back