looking for ax15

AVILES

hi everyone, im looking for an ax15, and if it comes with transfercase thats even better. i already posted a thread on items for sale but i think more people look through this threads than the sale ones. but yea if anyone has one please let me know. thanks

bummer, your a day late and a dollar short.. I just sold an AX15 w/transfer case, and external hydraulic clutch assembly.. but.. Tommy New most likely can help you out.. he can be reached at 661.209.2552 or sgtswole@yahoo.com just tell him you got the info from Wayne down in Las Vegas.. good luck..

thanks for the info, and just for reference, how much did you sell the trans with the tcase for? thanks

i was wondering, is the transmission on a 4x4 cherokee the same as that of a wrangler? and if so, what is the input shaft diameter? thanks for the info

I sold mine for $900 transmission, transfer case, bellhousing, and hydraulic clutch assembly (external)..

so i found a transmission from a yj, i was wondering if anyone knows the input shaft diameter? i need to buy an adapter and they are asking me for the shaft diameter. 3/4'' (.75") or 19/32" (.59375"). also would the flywheel from my 2.5l be the same as the flywheel from the 4.0l yj? or should i just try and get the flywheel from him too? thanks

don't think the flywheel is the same, nor the bellhousing.. I had to buy both to fit the 4.0L motor with the AX15 transmission.. I have a brand new flywheel and bellhousing if you can't find one.. make sure that YJ was a 4.0L w/AX15.. if its a 2.5L, its most likely the AX5

You made no mention of you having a 2.5L, this is a MAJOR detail to leave out. This is a whole different ballgame, do a lot of searching and learn what all is involved before buying parts. Your engine has a different bolt pattern than a 4.0. The AX15 was not offered behind a 2.5 the AX5 was and it is weak. The flywheels are different, you have the small pilot input, Jeep never made a bellhousing to mate the AX15 to a 2.5, etc.
IIRC there is a Dodge bellhousing from a v6 that you can use, but not positive on details.

Thanks for the info, and yea I'm not trying to mate it to the 2.5 I'm actually mating it to a om617 (3.0l turbo diesel) from a Mercedes with an adapter. And yea the yj is a 4.0 or at least that's what the guy has told me. I haven't bought it yet, he was supposed to take it of today. The thing is that the guys selling the adapters are asking what the input shaft diameter is. But I guess ill measure it when I do get, if I get it.

The input on all Jeep AX15's was 1.125 x 10spl. The small pilot (19/32") was used from 1988-1991 and the larger pilot (3/4") was used from 1992+. Just as a FYI there are a few other closely related trannies that will interchange parts and gears with the AX15 such as the Toyota R151, Dodge dakota, and a few GM trannies.
Have you checked out 4btswaps.com for diesel swap info? There are a several people using the om617 in various chassis over on that site. My build thread is there as well but I used a 4bt.

you might write Darwin at d.ogdahl@cox.net he just bought my AX-15 and had to get the pilot bushing for his 4.0L, so he probably knows the input shaft measurement..

Hi I was wondering if the ax15 has any id tag or anything like that. The thing is if I do buy the transmission I have in mind, I'm not going to be able to pick it up and I'm going to send my sister for it and I was wondering if theres any thing easy to check to make sure its the ax15?

im sorry im not sure what you mean by "deleted"?

AVILES it just means I deleted my post. Since there is no way to simply delete a post, you must erase what you want and you have to put something in there otherwise the site will not allow your edit.

i bought an ax15 from a 93 yj, and i was wondering if i could use the clutch assembly from my 97 2.5, with that trasmission. thanks

Back