Modern Amenities Oldschool Style?

CJatGuy

Anyone have any info on Older CJ's with new interiors, like air conditioning, nice seats, basically a CJ that could make a good daily driver?

My CJ isnt anything better then a weekend warrior because of its holes and bad body, bad seats, lack of stereo and no heat or air.

Tell me about ideas to make this beast a little less hairy.

Kindred sprit, Fellow rough Jeeper! I to have an older CJ and it is rough and harsh and I love it just the way it is. I to will love it a bet more with a few upgrades like your self!

I hope your Jeep is not any uglyer than mine for I am the current ugly jeep dude here. :wink: 79 Camo with a funky Sears and Roebuck top that is more versital and useable than anything else on the market.

Slow and steady is the way she goes. Starts slow and runs long. The only music in her is the sound of the ol Granny Low T-18 doing her thing as we go and the hum of the tires of corse.

Air thats for wimps, hehehe present jeeper excluded of corse. He now that is a must but that is not to hard to fix. Rebuilt mune and it will singe the hire in you nostrils after a couple of miles.

Seats mine are drak red Mini Van seat. Cordaroy that is with nothing but confort for you ride. 25 bucks from the local bone yard! You take em out of corse.

I did however add new or rather used shifter boots form the bone yard as well just keep the fumes out. Padded the shifter with some pipe insulation for that real coustom look!

CB is in ther though cause you got to have trail com. I also have an Airforce Flight suite bag to hod my winch control tug straps and other soft goods in style. There is a freshly painted well used Hilift in the back and a 40 foot log chain just in case.

Small assortment of hand tools in a nifty OD Green canvas bag. Seems to ride better than a box. Looking to add a console at some point and maybe even a steering wheel cover "exoitic skin maybe".

No floor mats and the bottom of the tub is a nice Battle ship gray at this time.

I am not real sure if this is what you were looking for but why improve on the interior of a cj when it is all ready rough enough to show you when you are driven it that you are with out a dought of any kind for a fact riden in a JEEP. hehehe tug

XJ Under 1500

CJatGuy said:
Anyone have any info on Older CJ's with new interiors, like air conditioning, nice seats, basically a CJ that could make a good daily driver?

My CJ isnt anything better then a weekend warrior because of its holes and bad body, bad seats, lack of stereo and no heat or air.

Tell me about ideas to make this beast a little less hairy.

I have new seats and carpet in my cj7.I know the feeling, my seats were shot and my carpet smelled like a wet dog with holes in it when I first got my jeep.If I could have done it again I would have just rhino lined the tub.Would have saved me tons of money.And would be much easier to clean.The carpet is great, but when you go wheeling it gets really dirty and mucky.Seats are help the look and the ride alot!If you do get new seats from say quadratech or somewhere else that sells seats for jeeps.My advise to you is KEEP the stock seat brackets.They wont come with any new seat out there and they cost about 120 to buy again.

Some CJs came with A/C. There was a unit that bolted under the dash and ran across all the way with a few vents. You can find them on ebay every once in a while and there is a place on the internet that sells new kits somewhere; ran across it one time.

You can buy new seats and install them pretty easily. I got the cheapest I could find because mine were destroyed. 100 buck, non-reclining, steel horse high back seats from quadratec. They are surprisingly nice and comfortable.

New springs and shocks can make the ride a little better if you have tired old parts.

I drive my old rust bucket 7 in the summer to work (25 miles each way) just about every day. The people at the office don't really appreciate that exhaust odor on my clothes, but I like the ride.

Wrangler spring conversion with a set of adjustable shocks like the Rancho9000s.
Replace all of the bushings, rubber has a softer "squishy" feeling compared to polyurethane.
Make sure your tires are well balanced and inflate them to just shy of what they recommend.

Inside I like a lined floor with nice floormats you can easily remove for four wheeling. For seats the first place I always look are wrecked Honda cars. The bottom cushions are low and flat and the backs aren't so wide that they look out of place in a Jeep. The leather ones from a 90s model Acura or Prelude are really nice, and easy to care for too. Look for a repair shop that specializes in Hondas, they usually have some parts cars tucked away somewhere and usually a repair shop will be happy to make a few bucks off of something they were sending to the crusher anyway. A little backwoods engineering and you can combine the brackets pretty easily. If the budget allows it, there are lots of great aftermarket seats available....and plenty of crappy ones too so research any purchase first. At least with junkyard seats you get crash tested OEM quality and you can try them out and see how you like them before you buy, you can't do that with a catalog.

I've never seen one installed in a Jeep, but Vintage Air makes a universal kit that is supposed to work very well. If you can find a factory unit it will cool a hardtop Jeep pretty good and it would be the easiest to install probably.

GO!GO!Gadget!

Some things on your Jeep aren't my style, but alot of things are. You probably have the nicest Jeep here from what I have seen. It's alot nicer than my crap. It seems like alot of people have bought some "Jeep Building 101" or "Jeeps for Dummies" book and seems to think there is only one way to build one. You went with what YOU like and you make no excuses for it, and you have strived to improve upon it's performance in ways that suit YOU. So from the young, smart-ass, big tire, loud exhaust crowd........I give you a big "OOUU-RRAAHH" too!

I would suggest, if in anyway possible, to buy another CJ. Yes, that's it, one for a driver and one for the trail. I kind of have a happy medium, but when I can I will be buying another for trail, then totally customize the driver. Can't go wrong buying another Jeep. Happy Shopping!

Double up.

CJatGuy I personally can add any-thing here since the knowlagable one's Inspector-Gadget, Junkpile, jay79cj7, and Sully have already spoken.
Dont listen to Tug-n-pull since he is really a TJ lover and has coveted them since riding in PA-smokeaters TJ.
His bit about roughing it is a small cry for the amenities of a good TJ that he is wishing for....

When you read this Tug I know your going to scream...but I can say in my defence is say yes to A/C!....Got ya Tug....lolololololololo

If you want to turn your jeep into a daily driver.Dont, buy a street jeep TJ and you wont have to worry about all those bumps and hacked interior. :lol: :lol:

Hat's off to the gadget man! Dang that is a sweet ride and it is still off road ready long as your will to do the clean up after.

Uata you got me I am a ture closet TJ kind of guy! NOT hhehehe I would however like to have a little more confort in the jeep than what I have now. Think I will throw a boom box in the back later on! hehehe tug

Tug...Battleship gray....you mean Confederate Gray if your from the south.
I would suggest the junkyard sets of course. I got some tan leather ones from a Land Rover Disco for $50. They are hanging tough for the money, even after being pressure washed many times. You can also find some heated seats if you are lucky.
I would also suggest an extra loud stereo. The louder, the better. That way, you don't have to worry about wind noise, squeaks, groans, etc... Just crank it up and listen to them disappear.[/quote]

It is nice to customize your cj7/5 to a more creature comfort vehicle and I don't know if it's your only vehicle. But once you start down that road it pretty much just keeps on going. May I suggest a new Rubi to on or offroad with everything there from the get go. Anyway you look at it you will be makin' payments. Aloha :D

Back