Motor swap

patyj said:
if you want lots of torque you will have to up grade axles they wont take it. Or change gears to different you depends on how streetable you want it.

Well not a ridicules amount of torgue. I wana keep all wheels on the ground most of the time

what you have to think about is what will your jeep be doing 90 percent of hte time.

me, 30 days in the month. 30 of those days it is on road usage in town. do i need bumpers and gears and all the off-roading stuff? no. what would make my jeep more fun to drive? something that will make it get better gas mileage in town. i want to say more power but power is a by-product of really tuning your engine to be efficient and get better mileage.

say i put on headers and a nice flowing intake. i gain x horsepower by doing this and its more fun to drive. but, if i drive it nicely, i also gain a couple miles per gallon because now my engine works less to move the jeep. i tested this out on my bmw i used to autocross. i built it for racing, chip, exhaust, fuel supply mods, all kinds of little tweaks. not only did my car get from stop light to stop light a whole heck of a lot faster but when i drove it nicely, i got about 25 miles to the tank more then prior.

the problem i face now is my jeep will light the tires up from a stop, no problem. its got a mixed up engine though, 4.2 head on top of a 4.0 block. who knows what is inside? it has a carb from a 63 dodge car that had a 360 v8. it runs great and moves like crazy but gets about 11mpg in town. i can mod the hell out of motor and hope to try and get close to 20, like my wife's fuel injected 93 wrangler got or i can swap in something else and start out getting better mileage before any performance upgrades.

build your jeep for what you use it for 90 percent of the time. not for that 2 or 3 percent of the time that you hope you might go off-roading or do something that requires 1500 pounds worth of parts bolted to your jeep

superj said:
what you have to think about is what will your jeep be doing 90 percent of hte time.

me, 30 days in the month. 30 of those days it is on road usage in town. do i need bumpers and gears and all the off-roading stuff? no. what would make my jeep more fun to drive? something that will make it get better gas mileage in town. i want to say more power but power is a by-product of really tuning your engine to be efficient and get better mileage.

say i put on headers and a nice flowing intake. i gain x horsepower by doing this and its more fun to drive. but, if i drive it nicely, i also gain a couple miles per gallon because now my engine works less to move the jeep. i tested this out on my bmw i used to autocross. i built it for racing, chip, exhaust, fuel supply mods, all kinds of little tweaks. not only did my car get from stop light to stop light a whole heck of a lot faster but when i drove it nicely, i got about 25 miles to the tank more then prior.

the problem i face now is my jeep will light the tires up from a stop, no problem. its got a mixed up engine though, 4.2 head on top of a 4.0 block. who knows what is inside? it has a carb from a 63 dodge car that had a 360 v8. it runs great and moves like crazy but gets about 11mpg in town. i can mod the hell out of motor and hope to try and get close to 20, like my wife's fuel injected 93 wrangler got or i can swap in something else and start out getting better mileage before any performance upgrades.

That's a good way of looking at things. I mostly drive this jeep. 40% of that time is offroading but nothing crazy mostly trail riding. A few hills here and there and when it rains I go taking it mudding. But in az it rarely rains :(

yup, same thing here. we are 3 hours north of the southern tip of texas. and thats 3 hours following hte highway. if you went straight up the coast, its probably way shorter. rain is something people talk about when they are day dreaming.

i know you guys are the same way. we went to boeing last year to check out how they build their apache attack helicopters. i knew we were in the desert the minute the plane landed. looked just like west texas

if you want an accurate view of your usage, take your calendar and each day, write on it town, highway, or offroad and if you did a little of two of them or something, make that note. then in a month or 6 weeks, look back over your calendar and have a sheet of paper with town, highway, and offroad column and put a check mark for each day in which ever column is applicable. then you have an accurate history of what you actually did instead of guesstimating where you might inflate one of the choices accidentally.

superj said:
yup, same thing here. we are 3 hours north of the southern tip of texas. and thats 3 hours following hte highway. if you went straight up the coast, its probably way shorter. rain is something people talk about when they are day dreaming.

i know you guys are the same way. we went to boeing last year to check out how they build their apache attack helicopters. i knew we were in the desert the minute the plane landed. looked just like west texas

if you want an accurate view of your usage, take your calendar and each day, write on it town, highway, or offroad and if you did a little of two of them or something, make that note. then in a month or 6 weeks, look back over your calendar and have a sheet of paper with town, highway, and offroad column and put a check mark for each day in which ever column is applicable. then you have an accurate history of what you actually did instead of guesstimating where you might inflate one of the choices accidentally.

That's not a bad idea. How was the attack helicopter? Iv always wanted to see them up close. The closes iv been was in air shows here at Luke afb

I'm never seen them fly up close. Only on the military channel. Damn that must have been a sick experience

yup, i keep asking if i can ride in one but they keep telling me no.

i'm going to keep asking though, ha ha ha. someday they'll break

superj said:
yup, i keep asking if i can ride in one but they keep telling me no.

i'm going to keep asking though, ha ha ha. someday they'll break

Just keep sending me letters and annoying them. They will crack soon enough

i just put chevy 350 and 4sp in my 71 and it has al the power and torqe you will ever need. Advance adapters motor mounts are between $150 and $180. Local drive shaft shop made me a new front drive shaft and shortened my rear for $90. i had to by a Novak conversions to get my chevy 4sp to dana 18 transfer for about $500a and then $150 to a machine shop to switch the new conversion tail shaft in the transmission. It is awesome!! Good luck!

it was that cheap? wow, that is not bad at all

Back