National Anthem

If you want to talk about the song, that is not our anthem. It was a song that drunks used to sing in pubs in the New England area, which probably originated in England. So if you're saying we should be respectful of that, then I would have to disagree with you.
I have never thought of it in the way that Mingez has, and now that he has brought it to my attention I would say that is the best summary so far.

Oh, I gotta agree, Jimi's version is by far the greatest ever!! And as someone said earlier, if you want to embellish it at a concert, thats fine, but not at a memorial service, or at any other venue that is directly inline with saluting our nation.

RE: Re: RE: National Anthem

MerkL said:
If you want to talk about the song, that is not our anthem..

:shock:

Ummm....yes.....yes, the song is our anthem. :roll:

RE: Yanks vs. Redsox This Weekend!!!!!

I can assure you that the song, music, not words wasn't written for our country. :roll:

RE: leroy goes nuts...

Interesting stuff about the US National Anthem as related to bits of pieces of the posts above:

"...But on its side "The Star Spangled Banner" had a strong supporter in John Philip Sousa who, in 1931, opined that besides Key's "soul-stirring" words, "it is the spirit of the music that inspires." That same year, on March 3, President Herbert C. Hoover signed the Act establishing Key's poem and Smith's music as the official anthem of the United States.

The new law, however, did not specify an official text or musical arrangement, but left room for creative arrangements and interpretations of "The Star Spangled Banner." [[Gadget's emphasis]] The standard instrumental version was unofficially established as the arrangement used by the U.S. service bands. However, other versions include: Igor Stravinsky's 1941 version for orchestra and male chorus, Duke Ellington's 1948 Cornell University arrangement, Jimi Hendrix's 1969 electric guitar version, José Feliciano's 1968 rendition, and the 1991 version by the St. Louis Symphony under Leonard Slatkin..."

The text cited above is from the following Library of Congress website:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cocoon/ihas/loc.natlib.ihas.200000017/default.html

The "was it or was it not a British drinking song" controversy is also there addressed.

For what it's worth...

Regards,

Star Spangled Gadget

RE: Front D44 swap into Daily Driver YJ problems

MerkL said:
I can assure you that the song, music, not words wasn't written for our country. :roll:

Huh? :? Whatever..... :roll:

MerkL said:
Whatever.....
Indeed
image-missing.png

RE: Never owned a Jeep. Tell me why I should buy one

i dont even know what that picture is supposed to mean...

RE: OT -- "Store Wars"

You feel like a troll? I don't think you should feel that way, you're a nice guy.

RE: I shimmie

MerkL said:
You feel like a troll? I don't think you should feel that way, you're a nice guy.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm implying that YOU'RE a troll!!!!!! Dang!!!!!!!! Oh, sometimes you're such a Mingez, Merk!!!! :lol:

Need some help....

Sparky-Watts said:
Oh, sometimes you're such a Mingez, Merk!!!! :lol:
Sparky, you're such a troll.

troll-4.jpg

RE: american racing wheels

Cool! I just bought (like three weeks ago) a 1985 CJ-7. Picked it up for $1000. Mechanically and frame-wise it is fine but the body is rusted beyond repair. I bought a tub from a guy in Atlanta for $250 and am currently in the process of getting it ready to install on my Jeep.

Nice to know there is someone close by! :D

Back