Oil Pressure?

derrelw

Hi All,
I noticed last night on my way home that the needle on my oil pressure guage was all the way to the right reading 80. I've never noticed it before but 40 is straight up and I thought that most of the time straight up is normal. The temp is normal and it runs great. Any comments? 2000 TJ 4.0 w/ 30,000 miles.
Thanks,
Derrel

Did you recently get an oil change done? If there's too much oil in the system, that'll peg the gauge, not to mention causing damage to various seals and such...

Check where the Oil Pressure sending unit plugs in (it's the little canister looking thing right above the oil filter, attached to the mount where the filter screws in) because when I snapped Ixityre's off putting an oil filter on, the gauge rested at 80 until I replaced it. If the wire is loose or otherwise damaged, it might not be sending properly to the oil pressure gauge.

My gals 93 had that problem for years until finally the gauge read no oil pressure. Turns out it was the sending unit.

Ninja Training

91 yj, 4.0 5sp, 48K; reads 80 all the time. I replaced the sending unit a year or so ago still reads 80. I quit worrying about it. :)

no warrenty on that quality jeep product ?

Can you turn on your accessories but not the car, so the gauges all function? If it reads 80 without it running, then you probably have a short or an open circuit somewhere, I don't remember which way it goes. If it reads 0 then works its way to 80 as you drive, then maybe you actually have high pressure, or maybe your unit is bad.

Thanks alot for the input guys. I did have the oil changed at Zip Lube the other day and never thought to check up on them. I checked the oil level and it was a quart too full. When I drained the oil down to the proper level the guage went back to normal.
You guys are great! Thanks again,
Derrel

I don't let those "quick lube" guys ever touch my vehicles, unless I know them personally. Those guys don't care about what they're doing.

C

My YJ started doing the same thing tonight while i was coming to work, I looked down and it was pegged at 80. my RPM was 3000. I slowed down and decreased the RPM to 2500 and the oil pressure went down 1/2 way between 40 and 80. when i turned a corner and excellerated the Oil pressure pegged 80 again. Are these sending units expensive?

I think it was about 10 or 15 bucks. Worth it in our case... And very easy to change...

Back