Powertrain Problem

rmaddtx

I am having a problem with my 93 Wrangler 4cyl, 5sp. I just returned after a short trip and when I pulled to a stop with the transmission in neutral, I released the clutch and the driveshaft was still trying to turn, I then tried to go in reverse and have a vert distinct vibration, I put the transmission back into neutral with the same problem, the driveshaft still trying to turn. I put the transfer case into neutral along with the transmission and all was ok. I put my transfer case back into 2 wheel drive and the same thing happened the driveshaft was still trying to turn, I tried the transfer case in all positions with the same results. I can drive the jeep in any forward gear in any position on the transfer case and all is ok, but when I come to a stop, put the transmission in neutral and release the clutch the same thing happens again. I thought at first it might be a pressure plate problem, but not so sure now. Hope someone can lead me in the right direction.

So your trans isnt coming out of gear?? does it stall if you put it into neutral and pull the clutch quick? no expert but look into your clutch slave cylinder, may be shot or going out. check the fluid level for the clutch, and look for any leaks around the clutch master cylinder.

No, it doesn't stall, just acts like its not completely out of gear when in neutral, and when in reverse it goes backwards but act as if it was to try to go forward at the same time. The Clutch Slave Cyl shows no leaks and is full of fluid. I have had jeeps all my life and have never run into a problem like this. Also thanks for your reply. All help will be appreciated.

Have a update on this problem. Today I lifted the jeep up and cleared the wheels, I put the Transmission in Neutral, the transfer in 2wd,with the engine running at an idle and released the clutch, the rear wheels turned in reverse, it also had a low roaring noise in the bell housing. Could this be a pressure plate problem? Also, there is no problem with the vehicle going forward in all 5 gears, Put in reverse, the roaring sound comes from the bell housing area, with the driveshaft making a jerking noise. Transmission will shift into all gears smoothly. At a stand still it hard to get the transmission into 1st or 2nd gear, you have ease the clutch out a little until it grinds then it will go into gear. I hope someone has a suggestion before I have this thing torn down. Thanks again for your help.

Rumble could be the through out bearing. Mine makes noise in neutral unless I press the clutch in a bit.

The other issue with difficulty going into gear sounds like your syncros need to be adjusted or replacing.

Most likely you've got some internal broblems in your transmision. Maybe a bearing or a syncro, like JPNinPA said, and it's binding the works up and making it turn. If you had a problem with your clutch or related parts i don't believe it would transfer power through your transmision when in neutral.
If you have the BA5 transmision, you may want to consider upgrading to a better transmision.

Thanks steady.foot for your response. I believe you are right about an internal problem. just wishful thinking hoping it wasn't. So I am to start to try to find a transmission or just sell the jeep with a bad transmission. I don't know the model of my transmission, but it is stock. Where would I find the part id? You mentioned upgrade what model would I look for and would it bolt up or would a modification need to be installed? Thanks again for your post. Have a good day and Merry Christmas.

Thanks for your reply, I believe I have an internal problem in my transmission. Probably take it to a shop and get a new transmission. Thanks again for your replay and Merry Christmas.

Without looking it up i would think that maybe you fave the BA-5 transmision. It's known to be a weak transmision. The AX15 is a good candidate for a swap. It was factory installed in many six cylinder wranglers and cherokees. A web search would give you the years and how hard a conversion would be.

Swapping in AX-15 for a Peugeot BA 10/5 Here's a write up of the swap. Depending on what you plan to do with your jeep, You might find it more practical to just rebuild your transmision or replaceing with the same thing. Make sure that it is a transmision problem before you make a decision.

Thanks steady.foot for the information and reply, I am taking my jeep to Amarillo next week to have it checked.Thanks again
Oh and by the way my Trans is an AX15.

Last edited:
The way to tell an AX15 from a BA 10/5 is the bolts holding on the shifter. 4 on the AX series (including weaker AX5 with 4 cyls) and 3 on the BA 10/5.

You can put a stronger ax-15 behind the 4 cyl, but you need a bellhousing and flywheel from a 2.5L Dodge Dakota. It only works on '91 up Jeeps because of the fuel injection tone ring.

Back