Seating a new clutch in?

geronimo_e

I just reacently changed the clutch on my jeep and a very weard shake has developed, every time I get a green lite (after stoping) , the jeep shakes for a second and then it takes off, like it slips or something( its kinda like I was new to driving manual transmition) after that its all very smoth shifting , is the clutch disk setleling or was mi instalation a fraud, keep in mind that this was my first clutch change. Is this normal?[addsig]

No, it's not normal. What you're experiencing is most likely caused by a dirty disk and/or incorrectly torqued pressure plate bolts and or the disk not being centered properly. Did you touch the disk with your hands and not clean it off? Did you get any oil on it and not clean it off? I hate to say this, but you're going to have to dissassemble it again and clean everything real well. Also, make sure the disk is perfectly centered using the alignment tool and make sure you not only torque the pressure plate bolts to the proper spec, but also that you torque them in the recommended sequence. HTH[addsig]

The jeep has a manual transmition, and is there another reason for this problem couse I remember cleaning everithing with acetone while also torquing everithing to specs. 105lb to the flywheel and 40 to the clutch plate in a criscros patern, also I used the aligment tool suplied by checkers. The only time de aligment could have been lost was when placing the transmition in.. but I doubt it. any how if there are now other sujestions you will be write and I will have to take the hole thing off again...[addsig]

The criss-cross torquing pattern on the pressure plate might be the problem. It is supposed to be torqued in a circular pattern unlike everything else that gets torqued.

How about the friction surface on the pressure plate? Did you clean that meticulously? Think of it the same way as you would a brake rotor and pads. The rotor is like the surface on the pressure plate and the pads are the same as the disk. If either one is not clean, has anti-seize or some other contaminant on it, you will have brake slippage and shudder. The clutch system is more sensitive to contaminants than brakes are.

I would suggest pulling it all apart (I know it sucks to have to do that), then put on a pair of surgical rubber gloves, clean everything perfectly, and then reassmeble it. Change the gloves as they get dirty. Also double check your torque specs and torque the pressure plate in a circular pattern. HTH and good luck with it.

[addsig]

not to contradict tim, but is it just a little clutch chatter you have? you just replaced the clutch, or also pressure plate? Sometimes more aggressive clutches don't like to slip and if you try to force them to slip, they'll chatter. clutches are also directional, but I'm not sure that they'll go together wrong without it being a serious problem assembling.

just some other thoughts.

-keith[addsig]

yeah sure sounds like clutch chatter. did you turn your flywheel, how did it look if you didnt turn it. you might of gotten a bad pressure plate. with all the clutchs ive done, the only time that has happened to me is when some grease has gotten on the disc. and ive put some clutches in vech.s with pretty bad flywheels. sounds like, if it doesnt smooth out, your going to removing it.[addsig]

I don´t know for sure about this particular vehicle, but often the pressure plate has little nipples on the back, that seat into indentations or holes in the flywheel. This is to center the bolt holes (on some vehicles the holes are staggered, so they only go together one way, to line up the dimples). Once a pressure plate is tightened in the wrong position, it´s impossible to get it straight again. Been there done that. You might also try looking at the clutch disc, it is often stamped this side towards trans or motor. I always ruffen up the flywheel with 100 grit sand paper, using a cross pattern, like recommended for brake discs, works for me. If you remove it again, look at the flywheel for blue looking hot spots, these will cause shimmy and such, but are something you just have to live with, as they often can´t even be turned out on a lathe. Something else to look at is the pilot bearing. Sometimes it´s just crummy parts.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<< not to contradict tim, but is it just a little clutch chatter you have? you just replaced the clutch, or also pressure plate? Sometimes more aggressive clutches don't like to slip and if you try to force them to slip, they'll chatter. clutches are also directional, but I'm not sure that they'll go together wrong without it being a serious problem assembling.

just some other thoughts.

-keith>>

I assumed that he replaced all the clutch components since that is really the only way to do the job correctly. I also assumed that he had the flywheel resurfaced for the same reason.

You're right, the hub on the clutch disk can only go on one way, so that shouldn't be the problem. Aggressive clutched don't like to slip, but I think he'd be more likely to just stall out than have clutch chatter. That's just my experience. HTH[addsig]

Back