Steering Shaft bearing

BobW

I have a 2005 TJ with a loose Steering Shaft bearing. It may, or not be part of the wobble I get at 50mph. Any ideas on how to remove and replace. I understand you need to buy the complete shaft that has the bearing on it.

The play in the shaft will not cause wobble. Bad alignment, worn parts, improperly inflated tires, poor lift setup... Will cause wobble. The play may be the result of years of wobble or a few DW episodes but it doesn't cause the wobble.

If you put a body lift on it may bind.

Also check that the length is adjusted properly. Wrong length will place the joint at an angle that creates a dead spot in steering.

To remove the shaft there is one bolt under the dash near the firewall and one bolt under the hood where the upper and lower shafts come meet. Just push the splines of the upper shaft together. Then unsnap the rubber grommet from the firewall. From there, just pull the shaft out through the firewall.

Last edited:
The play in the shaft will not cause wobble. Bad alignment, worn parts, improperly inflated tires, poor lift setup... Will cause wobble. The play may be the result of years of wobble or a few DW episodes but it doesn't cause the wobble.

If you put a body lift on it may bind.

Also check that the length is adjusted properly. Wrong length will place the joint at an angle that creates a dead spot in steering.

To remove the shaft there is one bolt under the dash near the firewall and one bolt under the hood where the upper and lower shafts come meet. Just push the splines of the upper shaft together. Then unsnap the rubber grommet from the firewall. From there, just pull the shaft out through the firewall.

My Jeep is completely stock. The bearing (may not be a bearing) is located where the universal joints are, in the center of the steering shaft. It's support is connected to the wheel well. I can reach down and shake it about 1/4th inch either way.

That may have a bearing it has a rubber bushing. Mine moves a bit. Maybe a quarter in overall. That will not cause wobble. The u joints are usually what go bad. Not a bad thing to repair but again it's not the cause of wobble. Bay be dead spot in steering.

Back