Stronger axles

Allie

I am looking for stronger axles for the rear end of my 1979 Jeep Wrangler CJ5.Has a 9 inch Ford and have went through 3 sets of axles so far,the splines strip out.I have bought stock axles,31 spline axles and this happens once a year.It is powered by a 6.0 vortec and the rear end came out of a 1977 F150.I may look into a Currie 9 inch rear end to fix this.I pulled both axles tonight and the splines are stripped out for the 4th time.A friend of mine suggested looking into the Mosier axles and I may do this also.I checked the housing also,it is getting bad finding stress cracks.I have welded up 3 of of the stess cracks twice.Time for a new rear end?

a 9 inch?!?! with a 6.0 vortec? you might as well bite the bullet and get a shaved 14 bolt. Nothing else will hold up.

Iwas talked into the 14 bolt today.I am going to ditch that 9 inch Ford.A junkyard I go to has one in a wrecked 1977 Chevy truck sold me one and it is all set to go with rear disc brakes.It is a currie rear end by the way.

I know the owner very well and he checked it out,found a receipt for a currie rear end in the glove box.Bought the truck from a police auction,was in a police chase and the thug wrecked it hitting a tree and rolled it 3 times.Court seized it for a drug case.

I trust the owner also,he drove it around the yard and it is quiet.Getting pulled on Monday and I paid $1,200.00 for it,know it was not cheap brand new.

Back