Stymied???????

firesean3532

Hello all. I am looking at getting me a cj7 and found an interesting jeep. it is a 1978 CJ7 304 3 speed, but has no manual hubs. I have emailed the gentleman about the jeep to get more info. I will keep yall in the loop. I will try to include the pictures online maybe the craigslist ad. Is it possible the this is either Live axle jeep, or a quadratrac manual. I know that it is unlikely a manual quadratrac. It also has a transfer case shifter.

78 CJ7 1.jpg 78 cj7 2.jpg 78 cj7 3.jpg 78 cj7 4.jpg

Me

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello and welcome to jeepz.com . The pictures you've posted aren't very clear but from your description , I would have to guess that a previous owner has either fitted the jeep with a manual trans and a compatible t-case ( most likely a trans/t-case combo) in place of an original auto trans that were common on the cj7. 304 CID engines did come in cj7's but it may be possible that an entire powertrain/drivetrain swap was performed. The fact that your front hubs are non-select leads me to believe that this cj7 once was auto trans with quadra trac since theses systems had auto locking hubs . Can we have a clearer photo of the hubs to confirm ? Btw , auto locking hubs did come optional on some manual systems on certain model years but anything is possible when someone swaps parts .

Read your post a second time and realized I missed a point . Your wondering if there were jeep front axles built without locking hubs on cj7's ( no manual select ) or could a previous owner installed a front locker differential with fixed hubs . We'll be interested in the email response the seller replies as well. Regardless of what a jeep may have in terms of factory 4wheel systems , I think what's most important here is what exactly is this jeep equipped with and is all working right. Quadra trac has full time locked hubs so which is imperative so it may be possible that your prospective purchase may have been a factory auto trans / quadra trac system with the original front differential. I would like to know which t-case was installed . You posted a shifter on the floor which combo'ed with the three speed is probably a Dana 20 or 300 ? The full time locked hubs ( if they are ) would come in handy with a " shift on the fly " 4wheel system but not needed on a part time system . Hope you can get some info . Full locked hubs wouldn't hurt anything on the part time system but there is always the claim of the drag on the drive train with locked hubs .

Last edited:
It could have been a simple late model axle swap. Almost all newer axles have no manual locking hubs.

can you post a close up pic of the front axle where the hub should be. Someone may have replaced the lockout hubs for drive flanges, which leaves the front axle locked, and 4x is selected at the tcase. you should be able to buy lockout hubs and bolt them one, pretty simple to do. I doubt that is a later axle as they are wider by quite a bit and the diff Is on the drivers side, and vac operated. possible it is a axle swap from a quadra trac jeep.. pics, pics

Last edited:
Back