The difference between a CJ, YJ, and TJ?

now i think all of you should think before you start talking... the woman in that pic happens to be my sister

i have one arm, one tooth, brown hair, fold-over belly, and blue eyes (when i shave them)

Is that a cj5 with hard doors???I never knew they made hard doors for cj5's

Nope, CJ5's have the doors that bend around the rear fender. CJ7's have the squared doors like the wranglers. Easest way to spot them.

Out of the Box TJ is still the best Jeep. Not only can we do the same+ off-road but we also have the interior to ease the suffering of a hot humid day out in the woods.

CJs (I think) are only better due to the ability to Modify.

You could get CJ's and YJ's with air conditioning they just didn't have the "mom's station wagon" dash.

You might BE cooler in a TJ, but you LOOK cooler in a CJ. :lol:

Cat Converter Inlet Size

I second that motion firemanharry. apparently CJ are tough people, cause we can handle the eliments better as well.
image-missing.png

never mind I thought you were talking about mine, you meant the cowgirl jeep sorry.

CJ's are tougher and seem to last longer, as well as hold their value better than the products released by Chrysler. I'm not rippin on the newer Jeeps. I think the new TJ looks really sweet. IMO the CJ's are the authentic desirable jeep ;)

You might BE cooler in a TJ, but you LOOK cooler in a CJ.

Looks aren't everything. ;) And that has been proven through time and tradition ;)

CJ's are tougher and seem to last longer,

How can you measure this. Any CJ that has All Original hardware is probably not running and it most likely stopped running a few years ago. you can no longer count "restored" or "Modified" Because that takes away the "Out of the Box" part of the statement.

Ok, so, CJs came with the short vynal seats and metal dashboards. Now days if you buy a CJ you are pretty much guareenteed that the tub is either Rusting or has been replaced.

I can modify my TJ to be just as "tough" as any CJ.

Now about the "Hold value" CJs are now considered Classics. The CJ didn't hold value until the title "Classic" was given to it. TJs however have a guareenteed re-sale of 15K after 3 years, at least mine does. How's that for "holding value" 25 years from now when my TJ is still running with the original tub (Rust proof pant) and Original parts (unless I roll it or don't take care of it) and we have exact read outs of a 25 year old CJ then and only then can we say that HEY a 25 year old CJ has out lasted a 25 year old TJ. Until then we really can't say that CJs are any "longer lasting." We all know that will never happen.

So again I make the comment, "out of the box, the TJ is a much better Jeep" Sorry, I must say off-roader, being a "better Jeep" is all opinion.

This comment then pushes down to the fact that a CJ and a TJ have:
5" suspension Lift
33" Micky Thompson Baja Claws
Dana 44s
Super extend Shocks
Neoprene Seats
etc etc etc you get the picture

The TJ will still out last and out preform the CJ.

BUT seeing as how CJs cost MUCH less than a TJ, CJ people are WAY more apt to test this theory.

Did I mention that this is mearly my Opinion and not fact at all :roll: 8) :)

we can't really say that a cj lasts longer than a TJ... TJs have only been around for a few years... we'll determine the validity of that statement in about 50 years

Let me pressure wash your dashboard and see which one lasts longer. :lol:

The only way one style of Jeep is better than any other is if it's the style that suits your specific needs.

I pressure wash my TJ dash all the time....dosent seem to hurt it at all...also leave the top down all the time too........bottom line is whatever Jeep you have, it's a Jeep. I 've seen rust bucket Cj's and seen shiny new Rubi's. and i have an aprreciation for all.

Now..that said....don't make me pull out my pics again. LOL

Rob 8) :p :)

Yeah............but you haven't had your TJ long enough to see if pressure washing will hurt it. We'll just have to wait for 25 years.......THEN we'll see. nyah nyah :roll: It's so funny how a simple question can turn into a "mines better than yours is" discussion. :lol:

HEH...:) never said my Jeep was better....I don't get into the the whole CJ/YJ/TJ thing lol.....beside...it's the driver, not the Jeep ;)

no offense taken...don't worry fireman.......I'm just joking around........might hit the pines this weekend if your interested.........let me know.

What dept do you run with....I run with a local ladder co.

So, let's just put a CJ body on a TJ Frame, powertrain and environment controls. There everything that you want from a CJ (looks and metal dashboard), plus the bonuses of the TJ Suspension and you have the perfect Jeep. ;)

Back