Thinks Rubicon is a trim LOL

Any and every jeep is a capable trail rig period

Yes and no after you add lockers and a 4to1 transfere case.

Again you do not see, The Rubicon has them from the factory.

This makes it better then a X right off the lot.

Have you heard about the new Jeep Yukon? It has a 4:1 transfer case, 5.38 gears, locked Dana 60 high pinion axles with front lockouts and a factory four link rear end.

Oh yeah, it has "Yukon" on the hood since it is a trim package.

:deadhorse:

Whats this big deal about the 4-1 transfer case,is it like the god of all transfer cases. Because your sure are making it out to be.

Last edited:

Yes and no after you add lockers and a 4to1 transfere case.
So any jeep without lockers and 4:1 isn't a capable trail rig?

I personally think the 4:1 sucks for general trail riding here in the Midwest, it's just too low for anything but large rock. Too low for decent hill climbing and maintaining average trail speed with all the other rigs.

If you want to play in the rocks, 4:1 is fine. I enjoy general trail riding and it's 2.72:1 for me.

You can keep your Rubicon.

I personally think the 4:1 sucks for general trail riding here in the Midwest, it's just too low for anything but large rock. Too low for decent hill climbing and maintaining average trail speed with all the other rigs.

If you want to play in the rocks, 4:1 is fine. I enjoy general trail riding and it's 2.72:1 for me.

Well i guess i spent over 3 grand on tires, wheels, lift etc. and mine's still not a trail capable rig...:roll:

You should borrow my doubler, best of both worlds.

I'd consider a 231/300 combo since it's the same length as a 231, if I could keep drivers side drop. Generally in the rocks the 5.38 in the axles still isn't low enough.

I have to agree with bounty, the 4:1 was designed for pure rock crawling, where you need to multiply the torque only. It sucks in mud, and snow. On general trail driving I never drop it into 4 low, there is no need. And as Bounty says, my friends would leave me in there dust if I kept it in 4 low all day. But on rocks, its a god send.

Yes and no after you add lockers and a 4to1 transfer case.
Again you do not see, The Rubicon has them from the factory.
This makes it better then a X right off the lot.

Yes and no. Here again the Rubicon was a porpoise built jeep, made for its namesake, the Rubicon trail. Chrysler build the Rubi to better on the Rubicon trail, but you drop it back east where thick gumbo mud lives and the Rubi is no better than any other jeep with lockers. Wheel speed is the key in thick mud, the 4:1 doesn't help.

Even the stripped down X model can surprise you on the trails, I have seen, near stock jeeps on some of the toughest trails doing just fine. And to put it bluntly, it shocked the heck out me seeing them there. A lot of the time, its driver skill, and tire placement. So never discount a jeep just because it doent say Rubicon on its side.

A jeep is a jeep, no matter what is written on the side.

do a 231/231 doubler, little longer, but stretch your rear back an inch it should make up for some of the length.

I would suggest flipping the 300 to get teh short box length and the gear driven case, but it will leak out the shift rail bosses whether you like it or not.

these kinds of threads trouble me. I own a 2004 Rubicon. I got it "loaded" got the digi fancy dancy compass/temp mirror, dual tops, push button everything blah blah blah. Doesn't make it any better than my old 80 CJ-7 which I love equally. Both of these Jeeps are unique in their own way. I wouldn't give either one of them up. In 2003 I heard about this "mighty jeep" they were gonna market. The only reason I got the Rubi is because I liked the way it looked. Bigger tires and the stance was a bit higher than the TJs of the past. I didn't buy it because I was trying to be "better" than anyone else. I don't give a crap about lockers and transfer case ratios. so what. It was my dream vehicle and I had never had a "new" car before. The Rubi was my first. Yes I paid $30,000 for a Jeep for God sakes but it was the first vehicle I got that I really wanted. I had always settled for hand me downs from family or questionable used vehicles bought for a few hundred bucks. So the Rubi was a treat for me.

I joined this board because I wanted to meet good people who have the same interest I do = Jeeps - ALL Jeeps, yj, xj, tj, cj, and anything else known as a "jeep". Heck I will wheel with toyotas and hummers if their owners are good people. That's all any of us should care about. Its the people that makes these forums and jeep clubs special, not what they drive, or what stickers or trim packages they have. I like to think that as Jeep owners who love Jeeps we are one. So let's have fun with our Jeeps and each other.

these kinds of threads trouble me. I own a 2004 Rubicon. I got it "loaded" got the digi fancy dancy compass/temp mirror, dual tops, push button everything blah blah blah. Doesn't make it any better than my old 80 CJ-7 which I love equally. Both of these Jeeps are unique in their own way. I wouldn't give either one of them up. In 2003 I heard about this "mighty jeep" they were gonna market. The only reason I got the Rubi is because I liked the way it looked. Bigger tires and the stance was a bit higher than the TJs of the past. I didn't buy it because I was trying to be "better" than anyone else. I don't give a crap about lockers and transfer case ratios. so what. It was my dream vehicle and I had never had a "new" car before. The Rubi was my first. Yes I paid $30,000 for a Jeep for God sakes but it was the first vehicle I got that I really wanted. I had always settled for hand me downs from family or questionable used vehicles bought for a few hundred bucks. So the Rubi was a treat for me.

I joined this board because I wanted to meet good people who have the same interest I do = Jeeps - ALL Jeeps, yj, xj, tj, cj, and anything else known as a "jeep". Heck I will wheel with toyotas and hummers if their owners are good people. That's all any of us should care about. Its the people that makes these forums and jeep clubs special, not what they drive, or what stickers or trim packages they have. I like to think that as Jeep owners who love Jeeps we are one. So let's have fun with our Jeeps and each other.
it doesnt matter how much or how little you paid for anything.
if you REALLY wanted it.
and you had the money.
it's a good deal.*

it sounds like a real beaut!

*thats how i talk myself into exotic firearms purchases.:lol:

Cant we just all get along? Lmao! Actually I didnt get the impression we werent. This thread is the perfect example of Jeep owners individuality,thier opinions, and sharing them with other jeep enthusiasts. I didnt actually see any "jeep bashing" going on here. We all have our preferances (see below lol) but when it comes down to it, if it says"Jeep" its a Jeep! If it says "Jeep Rubicon" its a Jeep with a trim package and a performance package, yea?

Is this jeep bashing? No I hope many who read it, know its an argument for something to argue. At least I am hoping that what this is...just gentle fun poking at each other. rubijeepchick04 don't let our fun, poking cheap shots at each other disturb you.
We even open a thread or two about square vrs round head lights to pass the time too.

Because in the end, all of us here, know, that it really doesn't matter whats written on the side of the hood, because in the end they all say jeep on the side.

What Utah said, but he forgot to add that TJ's suck :shock:
Listen square eyes, I wasnt going to say anything about your old fashion, square head lights.
I didnt want point out that there is only one jeep model out there with a grill change from square headlights to roundies.

Gee I wonder who runs square head lights...

Get it 4 sides make a square!?! man I crack myself up!:shades:

Listen square eyes, I wasnt going to say anything about your old fashion, square head lights.
I didnt want point out that there is only one jeep model out there with a grill change from square headlights to roundies.

Gee I wonder who runs square head lights...

Get it 4 sides make a square!?! man I crack myself up!:shades:

-------^-------^-----^

:lol: Silly YJ's

AHA!! this means i got the best of both world. Round headlights and leafsprings. Ya'll just have leftovers, CJ's RULE!! LMAO.:lol::lol:

Back