This week: Herculiner...

Joopin

Super Moderator

But first I have to ask a question...
I was looking under the carpet in my YJ today while looking over the project im starting... and on the drivers side the floor pan is rusted and it feels thin compared to the rest of the tub. This is the only spot that is rusted (no holes) and I was wondering what I should do for the prep on this part. I'm thinking of just sanding it and putting a rust inhibitor or prime on it before the herculiner. The only other thing that is worrying me is getting the bolts out holding the seats down. I can only assume at this point they are going to be a bizznitch and I hope they don't break!
I'm sure some of you have come across this also and I was just looking for suggestions...

I'm starting this in about 2 hours... on the hottest day of the year... when I could be at the beach... what am I crazy?[addsig]

Good luck! I was looking into doing the same thing, though, I might go ahead and pay some fool to do it for me! Lots of water gets in my jeep and I dread...absolutely dread...to look under the carpet. Again, though, best of luck! :cool: [addsig]

do away with the carpet and pop out the drain plugs - that'll stop the carpet from holding water. lol.

Joopin - when I took the seats out of my 84 cj, i found out that i could get the bolts out without breaking them by backing them out about 1/2 turn, then screwing them in about 1/4 turn at the time. this lets the mud and sand work its way out of the threads. just take screw them out by feel. if the bolt gets harder to turn, screw it in a little. pb blaster helps also.[addsig]

Just go for it the worst that could happen is
you would have to weld a new floor board
in to the cut out old one......... :-D [addsig]

we've done some floorpan reconstructive surgery before... custom in every sense[addsig]

Well the Herculiner is done... The whole thing took 7 hours, from gutting the interior to applying second coat. The rusty floor pan I just sanded it, took a wire wheel to it, and then primed it before the herculiner. Seemed to work great, and it looks awesome!

Now I was wondering where I can get new floor drain plugs... I checked the Quadratec catalog but didn't see anything...

Also, I have about a quart of Herculiner left still, Any ideas where I can use the rest of it? I already did the inside of the back door, and I will do the outside of the console I made with it too. Thanks for the ideas... I'll post some pics later.[addsig]

Joopin,

AWESOME!!! I'd really really really like to see pictures of the finished product and maybe even a write up? Something along the lines of "Herculiner for dummies"? lol [addsig]

Congrats I have mine ready to do thurs and fri....
I would love to see some pics,... :-D :-D [addsig]

Measure the hole go to the local paint and body supply dealer and get some body plugs to match real cheap. Go to ebay type Floor Plug Jeep and there are several sellers there. Go to the Jeep dealership and pay through the nose for some. Go to the Junk yard and pop some out of a salvaged carcas! mand the choices are endless. Good luck tug

edited by: Tug-n-pull, Jul 09, 2003 - 02:33 PM[addsig]

Hey Joop.....VERY NICE JOB !!!!!!! Do me a favor and let me know if the floor boards and wheel wells (rear) heat up. I want to do the same thing, and still need some creature comforts for when I have passengers.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Very nice did you spray it or roll it???

Hey PA mine heats up without the liner so '
I would imagine that it would do it with ....
but that is why I went with the catch all rubber
floor mats,.... :-D :-D :-D [addsig]

HEH....my daughter and her friends always lean on the rear wheel wells...I was wndering if things get to hot back there....I would hate to explain to thier parents that their kids have third degree burns on their arms 'cause they were using the wells as arm rests lol

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

My jeep has never gotten hot on the wheel wells
except for the sun ...But there is no heat coming from
the engine to there........ :-D [addsig]

Anyone can do it I was just wandering which
way he did it. It cost me 149.95 a gallon
for the gray and I am doing it in the next day
or so.... :-D [addsig]

with the extra.. you can put on a permanent bra, or do your rocker panels, or even extend that up to inside the door.... you can do your roll bars, bumpers, you can take the covers off your petals and line them, then there is always the frame, grill.... possibilities are endless[addsig]

nice pics, im planning on doing mine this friday already have the back seat and passenger along with that crapy carpet out all i gotta take out now is the seat bealt things and driver seat, first mod to my new jeep next is bigger tires and then maybe some engine stuff...do you have any tips for easier instalation or is it pretty much spray and wait?

edited by: Nymisus, Jul 09, 2003 - 08:27 PM[addsig]

Sounds good to me welcome to the board.... :-D
Keep us posted what kind of jeep do you have... :-D [addsig]

I went to pepboys and picked up a kit for $89.00 which includes a gallon of Black Herculiner, a brush (for the corners) 2 rollers (one for each coat) a scratch pad (which I didn't use) and a roller handle.
I started taking out the interior in my shop at 3 pm tuesday, cleaned out the tub, sanded it (with air powered dual action sander), cleaned the tub with Xylol-Xylene, masked off areas and by the end of the first coat, it was close to 9 pm... and I had my brother helpin me for 4 of those hours! A whole hour was dedicated to ONE STUPID BOLT on the drivers seat, you will know which one when you get to it... (the nut is on a long bolt that is attached to the seat, and the frame is too close to get a rachet in there)
Anyway, it says to let the first coat dry 1-4 hours or is dry to the touch. I gave it 2 hours, went back to the shop at 11, rolled on another generous coat, cleaned up the shop, and was out by 12. I was back the next morning for work at 7am and it was totally dry. (though the box says let 24 hours to be completly dry)

Breakdown
total cost: 89 bucks- Herculiner, 16 bucks for new floor drain plugs. = $105.00
total time: 7 hours (2 people) and another 1-1/2 hr. to put the interior back in.

Anyone can do it, if you have a garage to let it dry in it's a big advantage... don't want stuff sticking in there or getting it wet while curing. Good luck people![addsig]

Back