what are the do's and dont's of a timing job

808CJ7 said:
Are you doing this as preventative maintenance, or is there a problem? How many miles on the engine?

Kinda both. Coming up on 98k I don't know if the po changed it or not. And I think the tensioner went out cause it sounds like a diesel

luis said:
Kinda both. Coming up on 98k I don't know if the po changed it or not. And I think the tensioner went out cause it sounds like a diesel

When you say sounds like a diesel, do you mean it sounds like its knocking?

More like pinning. Iv been reading a lot about this and it seems a common problem for the 2.5, I'm sure its the problem and if not then atleast I know I have a new timing chain and gears

Also could and one tell me or show me a link to find out what the torque specs for the harmonic balancer, cam gear, and timing case cover

I recommend you get a Haynes or Chilton repair manual at your local parts store. Those contain the torque settings for all the fasteners on your jeep.

I have the jeep bible. Would that contain the info? Which would you prefer haynes or chilton

Haven't read the jeep bible yet. I get Haynes manuals for all my cars. Saves a lot of time finding torque specs. And fluid capacities.

You will be fine man!! And we will be right here following along

808CJ7 said:
Finished already?

Yes I started early this morning at about 8am. Got a few hicups along the way like the puller not working. But after all was finished I bottoned everything up triple check everything made sure the crank spun freely and it fired right up. It's not as noises anymore. But I didn't notice a miss and a small backfire I don't know of its related but I didn't notice it before cause of the noise

Sorry not a backfire but more like popping when it idles down from reviving at a standstill

Awesome. Might be the plugs causing the rough idle.

usually if there is a back fire on deceleration, i believe its from a leak in the exhaust, a vacuum leak in the intake, or the valves. its been a while but if i remember right, those are the causes

Back