Wheel Hop ( Help Please )

RedWrang

I just finished the SOA today on my 87 Wrangler. The problem I am having is when driving the steering wheel kinda hops around while im holding it. Just to let you know it still has the stock pitman arm on for right now. Seems the only thing the lift did was just mis-align my steering wheel a little but all the arms clear ok. Also I do not have shocks on it just yet, but I just test drove it around the block and this is what I discovered. My driveshafts are back to the right degrees except the back one which we all know is turned up a little. My Samurai did not do this when I did an SOA on it, and im just wondering what it could be. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance. :-? :-x [addsig]

Is your trac bar hooked up or did it come with a kit to raise your trac bar? If it's loose, this could possibly be the problem.[addsig]

I took the trac bars off and their not on now. How could they cause the steering wheel to wobble while im driving.[addsig]

no tracbar will allow for a lot of front end movement, and because you have the stock pitman and draglink, any movement in the front end will result in an effect similar to bumpsteer.... your draglink responds to the up and down movement of your axle. and that will exert into your steering box, up to the steering wheel. If you get your tracbar on and replace the steering parts, you should be much better[addsig]

Keep up posted as the SOA goes along and what you think of it. If you can put up some pics. Did you use a kit or is this a coustom lift? I to have an 87 and would love to hear more about the installation and problems you ran into if any! Thanks tug ;-) [addsig]

Ok ill get the dropped pitman arm and see how that works out. Tug for your answer i did not buy anything yet but 3 new u-bolts and the new spring perches. I fabbed my own trans case lowering bracket and just re bent my brake lines and re-screwed them to the frame. The driveshafts even seem to be ok in length for now, maby lenghten the rear a little later. Thats all i have done so far. I got a buddy comming over today with his dig cam and ill get some pics up.[addsig]

A trailer place called trailer wheel and frame.[addsig]

Thanks but I found some on the Quadratec site just now... another question though if you don't mind... how do I know what width to get on those perches? I am gathering parts for my SOA soon... Thanks for the help.[addsig]

measure the width of your springs... they are most likely 2.5 inches i think... can't remember for sure[addsig]

The ones I used were only 1 3/4 in wide they work just fine. The driverside i think it is has to use a narrow one cause of the differential.[addsig]

Just curious how the SOA is working out. I've been considering it. About how many $$$ do you have in the whole lift. [addsig]

we did it for well under $100... if you have the steel, welder, torch, grinder, and cutting wheel... it can be that cheap. if not, then you can buy parts cheap anyway. but to do it, you'll need a welder and will probably want an angle grinder with various wheels anyway. [addsig]

I have a question. I love the look of SOA I love the price everyone talks about. My question is what does it handle like after you get it done? No one around here any where in my home town has a SOA for me to see or ask about. The local Jeep parts place says he would never even ride in one. I can not see the big deal myself. I understand you keep you stock springs thus the stock ride feel, how is it as far as flex goes? I understand that you are raising the angles and getting some vibration. Just would like to know. Tug[addsig]

Tug i havent got to really drive it hard yet till I get the rearend redone then I will let you know how it handles.[addsig]

Back