where does the CJ5 rear bumper bolt to?

mx racer 904

or is it welded....

I have a rear bumper off something on the front and just a piece of U channel on the back...

I would like to either weld or bolt the front on the rear (hitch) and use a piece of U channel on front....

Attachments

• 100_0121.JPG
    100_0121.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 1,190
  • 100_0123.JPG
    100_0123.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 1,162

what is that gray thing where teh frame should be? it appears the rear cross member was rotting off and someone replaced it with some simple steel, if thats the case, you can just drill some holes and bolt her up.

It also appears that it is fiberglass and is an extension of the body pointing down. is there a side shot and a close up?

lets see if this helps

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 1,224
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 528
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 450

That looks like it is welded onto the frame rails. If it is, it should be strong.

The weird thing is that it looks like the body is welded to the rear bumper with stitches. Is the body fiberglass or is the rear metal?

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the original post.

I would probably make my own hitch mount and weld that to the rear crossmember. That way, you could have two hitch mounts. Yay.

By the way, how thick would you say that front bumper is?

that front bumper is pretty thick...prolly 3/16",...i can stand on it and it doesnt even flinch at 225 lbs.... i was kinda thinking of just having somebody weld a permanent hitch to that lil bumper...is that what you are talking about....and the body is metal....when i start the body work I was going to grind that weld off and leave them seperate...thanks

You'll have to clean out the mud (don't worry, putting the mud back in place will be easy and fun:p) and see if the rear crossmember is still in there. The channel iron should not have been welded to the body. If it's welded to the frame too you will have flex trouble since it is "shorting out" the cab mounts. If the rear crossmember is still there you'll find two sets of holes, four on each side of the Jeep. These holes will accomodate either the factory trailer hitch or bumperettes. Best of luck - John

its not there....

so i think i will make some brackets to go from the channel iron to the other bumper....

thanks

bummer... Well, you can get a replacement crossmember if you want. Or, just make sure the channel is attached really well to the frame if you're going to pull a trailer. The channel would make a good mount for a pintle hitch. Also, I think your front bumper is really a front bumper (not a rear). The ends curve inward too much to be a rear. It just has a front receiver mount (you can use it to manuever a trailer or for a recovery point). Best of luck - John

I concur. The front bumper is a front bumper. Perhaps the receiver is there for a receiver-mounted winch. Some people put those there so that they can move a winch from one end to the other, and so that they can remove it when it's not in use. It looks like you have a nice flush-mounted rear bumper, which will increase your angle of departure. You might consider integrating another receiver so that you can use a receiver-mounted winch front or rear. Note--don't try to tow anything long with a CJ-5: that's a recipe for disaster.

With regard to where to mount a rear bumper on a CJ5......
"Black Betty" has a sexy SRC tube bumper on the front, to mount it up, all I had to do was relocate the bolt holes in the bumper and wha-la.
3213485433_498b2b0f55_s-1.jpg

Now, on the rear RRC tube bumper I was wondering if I could use the same or similar procedure. I've not met anyone with the SRC rears and I wonder if the tubes are welded to a flat panel for mounting?

Thanks in advance and a lift of the lynch lid.
Gus

Last edited:
Back