79 CJ7 Will Not Start...

58D_CavScout

Hey guys, Need some help here. I just got back from Afghanistan and the Jeep sat for about a year only being driven once every other month or so. September was the last time it ran and I just got home a couple of days ago. We planned on it running a bit more than that but it just did not work out that way unfortunately.

The Stock 304 turns over fine and it will catch if I use some starting fluid. So it seems like it's not getting the fuel it needs. I pulled the fuel line from the fuel pump and turned it over for a good 20-30 seconds a couple of times and no fuel is coming out. I tried pouring some fuel into the pump from the output line in an attempt to prime it, but no luck (not sure if this is the right way to prime a fuel pump)

Does this sound like the fuel pump has gone bad? The last time it ran, it worked fine but can these go bad just sitting there? What else could it be?

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Could be a leak in the line uptream from the pump....the pump would just be drawing air.

Quick question, if the pump was in good shape and there were no leaks upstream from the pump, if I turned it over would fuel come out the output side of the pump? Is that they way you usually check the operation of the fuel pump? Thanks!

Jake

Well, I replaced the fuel pump and all is well. Fired right up. Thanks to the group for helping me out! Next stop, new tires....

Back