My latest accomplishment

currupt4130

VT Hokie
So I was going down to the Math Emporium (place where Virginia Tech has set up to take some math classes) tonight to take a quiz. Was going down Patrick Henry Rd clipping along at about 40 (or so I thought) when I see a cop car running radar, I slow down a little, but you know, nothing major. So then he pulls out and pulls me over. All of a sudden I look up and see that the speed limit has changed since I've gotten back to school. They changed it from 35 down to 25. Cop even said they only changed it a month ago. Now I've been back in Blacksburg for two weeks, and have been down this road one other time since then, and it was also at night. Also let me add this is a large 4 lane road with large sidewalks on either side. I'm debating wether or not to pay it or try and fight it. He didn't write me for reckless because of the recent change and he understood where I was coming from, or so he said. Do ya'll think I could get it dismissed based on the recent change and the fact that I've only been back in town for two weeks? I'm debating wether or not to pay it or try and fight it. He didn't write me for reckless because of the recent change and he understood where I was coming from, or so he said.

image-missing.png

Does VA have a "point system" like Maryland has? If so I wouldn't fight it, but I would go to court to try to get the points reduced or removed. Guilty with an explanation???

I agree, guilty with an explanation. I don't think you'll win if it's a straight not-guilty plea. If you kiss major judge arse you might get it dismissed, or perhaps you can attend a class of driving school in lieu of the ticket. Of course, that might be a worse fate to you...it is to me.

Good luck what ever you do.

I agree, guilty with an explanation. I don't think you'll win if it's a straight not-guilty plea. If you kiss major judge arse you might get it dismissed, or perhaps you can attend a class of driving school in lieu of the ticket. Of course, that might be a worse fate to you...it is to me.

Good luck what ever you do.

BTW, I love cops, but that one was full-on "ticket hawking." Yeah he was "understanding" and all, but he setup shop on that street for a reason, and since he mentioned they changed the limit probably figured it was a good place to go fishing.

You said it used to be 35mph? But he clocked you at 45mph? Nope, don't think you stand a chance of getting it thrown out. Either way, you were still speeding, even if the signs hadn't been changed. A judge isn't going to listen to your side of the story because of that. I think you'd be ahead just to pay it and move on.

From another angle (despite the fact that you were speeding 10 mph over even at the old limit), ignorance is no defense. If you go into court and tell the judge you didn't know the speed limit had changed, then he could rightfully charge you with inattentive driving on top of speeding. If the courts dismissed all the cases because someone said they weren't familiar with the area or recent changes in speed limits, etc., then it would be a free-for-all in traffic court! Sorry, your honor, I didn't know it was illegal to drive through the mall's food court in my trail rig. Sorry, your honor, I'm new in town and I didn't know that was a one-way street.

Nope, suck it up and pay the fine.

BTW, I love cops, but that one was full-on "ticket hawking." Yeah he was "understanding" and all, but he setup shop on that street for a reason, and since he mentioned they changed the limit probably figured it was a good place to go fishing.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. They recently changed the speed limit (lowered it). Generally, when a municipality does this, it is in response to a problem, typically too many accidents. They do not go out and spend several thousand dollars on new traffic signs just to make a few hundred dollars in fines. To suggest that the officer was there simply to "fish" is a bit ignorant, even for you (ok, j/k on that last bit:lol: ). There has obviously been a problem in that area that required the lower limit, and the officer may very well have been patrolling that area for the safety of the public. Ever think of that? Gee, what a novel idea: police protecting the public!:shock:

The city of Wichita has a population of about 400,000. In 2006, they saw 36 traffic fatalities, the highest they've had in years. In almost every case, excessive speed was to blame. 40% of the fatality accidents happened on the west side of town. The west bureau of the police department has been cracking down on speeders in the problem areas. In the last 3 months of the year, the west bureau reported 20% fewer accidents related to speed (both injury and non-injury accidents). Now, were they "ticket hawking"? Or were they protecting the public by enforcing the law? You tell me.

You said it used to be 35mph? But he clocked you at 45mph? Nope, suck it up and pay the fine.

I hate to agree with Sparky here...grrr I even hate to admit that......(heheheh Love ya Spankie!)

But he is right Ignorence of the law is no excuse. Since you didnt see the speed limit change sorta means you wernt paying attention, now if the speed limit sign is slightly obscured you might have a chance to plee out of it but if you dont have good photographic evidence, dont even try.

Go in and clain no contest and see if they offer traffic class.
As they say on TV cop shows..you did the crime...you do the time...

Does VA have a "point system" like Maryland has? If so I wouldn't fight it, but I would go to court to try to get the points reduced or removed. Guilty with an explanation???

I agree with TC, If there is going to be points involved it never hurts to try.

"Breakin the law...breaking the law!"

-Beavis and Butthead

That was Rammstein. Anyway, I understand that I was breaking the law, and that I was apparently 10 over the old limit anyway. It just seems like such a trap, to start ticketing that early after school started, when everyone has just gotten back and such.

My suggestion would be to speak to the prosecutor, explain your situation and request deferred adjudication. Your probably going to have to pay for the ticket anyway. At least this way it wont go on your record and affect your insurance or any point system that may be in place.

Otherwise plead not guilty and hope the officer dosent show up for court.

Good Luck

I usually recommend the triple postponement method, but I really think if yoiu have a clean record and go to court and plead guilty (not fight it) you may save yourself some points on your license. You'll probably still pay the fine and court costs but if you can keep the points off it'll save your hide from higher insurance rates.

If you have a clean record the judge may even give you probation. Ya never know, but I would definately not bring an "I was trapped and this is unfair" attitude into court. It won't bode well for ya :lol:

Just be apologetic and tell the judge yes you are guilty of speeding, even with the old limit, but you didn't realize to what extent. Tell him you view this as a wakeup call to be more a responsible driver.

If you conduct yourself well in court and don't try to deny you were at fault then you have a good chance of saving yourself some money. It can't hurt to try.

That was Rammstein. Anyway, I understand that I was breaking the law, and that I was apparently 10 over the old limit anyway. It just seems like such a trap, to start ticketing that early after school started, when everyone has just gotten back and such.
That wasn't Rammstein, that was Judas Priest thank you very much! Rammstein covered it.

Beavis and Butthead are singing Judas Priest as well.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. They recently changed the speed limit (lowered it). Generally, when a municipality does this, it is in response to a problem, typically too many accidents. They do not go out and spend several thousand dollars on new traffic signs just to make a few hundred dollars in fines. To suggest that the officer was there simply to "fish" is a bit ignorant, even for you (ok, j/k on that last bit:lol: ). There has obviously been a problem in that area that required the lower limit, and the officer may very well have been patrolling that area for the safety of the public. Ever think of that? Gee, what a novel idea: police protecting the public!:shock:
There are 2 kinds of people. Those that think Cops are all out to get us, and those that think Cops are infallible human beings that are completely altruistic in their intent. The truth is somewhere in between, and every police officer is different.

First of all, TC and I aren't suggesting he plead innocent because he was ignorant of the change in MPH, but rather that he plead guilty and talk his way out of the ticket. Think it doesn't work? WRONG! I've done it. I talked my way out of a 20 MPH over the limit clock and got both my fine reduced, and only had to attend 1 day of driving school. You just have to be very humble as TC suggested and present it as a life lesson. Sparky, don't hate on Currupt just because he's able to more eloquently present himself in court. Just because you showed up in a hawaiian flower shirt and flip flops and ended up getting your fines doubled doesn't mean Currupt will suffer the same fate. I seriously doubt the Judge will raise the fine if he pleads guilty, so there's no sense in not trying.

Secondly, Cops DO hawk. I've got 2 buddies (just as everyone does) who are officers. They get written up for not writing enough tickets. A common argument against this notion, is that they always say that they don't have a quota. That's true, they don't. But management does track the amount of traffic tickets they write, and they indeed expect a reasonable amount. I've heard Brian (My bud) talk about how there are well-known "spots" for getting setting up shop and gunning speeders. Hey, they gotta do what they gotta do, but you can't deny that a little bit of "fishing" doesn't take place. Is it still against the law to speed? Yes.

Similarly, cops in Denver hang around bars to pull folks over to hand out DUI's. It's fishing, but it's necessary.

Now, I'm not suggesting that such tactics can't overlap with an actual public need for the speed limit to be lowered, but there is pressure (at least from Denver PD) to make sure you are doing your part in writing X amount of tickets per month, even though there's no actual quota.

Last edited:

It's possible you could call the court and ask for the district attorney or the prosecutor for the court (the court number should be on the ticket). Here in Texas, we have an arraignment hearing first where you enter your plea prior to seeing the judge.

Whether it's the arraignment hearing or the day you see the judge, you should be able to request to discuss the matter with the prosecutor when you check in. Just tell him/her that you wish to plead "no contest" and ask for deferred (probation) it's usually somewhere between 60 and 90 days.

Be sure not to get a ticket during that time. If you do, and your found guilty of the second ticket, both tickets go on your record.

Do they offer definsive driving to dismiss tickets? If so, that may be an easier route.

You know what irks me? People that get caught speeding (breaking the law), and then cry that it was a speed trap and the cop was just there to up his non-existant quota. There is very, very rarely any such thing as a "true speed trap". There are areas where people feel the need to speed (break the law) and the cops know this, therefore, they will patrol those areas heavier than others (enforcing the law). In most cases, it's not to fill a quota, it's to decrease the dangerous habits that lead to serious, and often fatal, accidents. Some do it because that's why they became LEO's, others do it because it has been requested by the public and their superiors (as is the case in West Wichita). If it boosts their "productivity", then so be it. But why are the cops painted as being in the wrong when they are, in essense, doing their jobs by enforcing the law? I just don't get it. :roll:

You know what irks me? People that get caught speeding (breaking the law), and then cry that it was a speed trap and the cop was just there to up his non-existant quota. There is very, very rarely any such thing as a "true speed trap". There are areas where people feel the need to speed (break the law) and the cops know this, therefore, they will patrol those areas heavier than others (enforcing the law). In most cases, it's not to fill a quota, it's to decrease the dangerous habits that lead to serious, and often fatal, accidents. Some do it because that's why they became LEO's, others do it because it has been requested by the public and their superiors (as is the case in West Wichita). If it boosts their "productivity", then so be it. But why are the cops painted as being in the wrong when they are, in essense, doing their jobs by enforcing the law? I just don't get it. :roll:

Again, as I said, there's no quota. They're just doing what they are asked to do. I also said (In so many words) it's a necessary evil. I was simply refuting your claim that cops don't fish for tickets. They do, and they should. As for the 35 to 25 mph zone, it's not like huge strides in justice are being made there. Given the circumstances, depending on the drivers record, he many officers would have given a warning in many if not most of those instances. But there was purpose behind the ticket.

The cops are just doing what they have to do, but Currupt by going to court and lessening the fine (at least attempting to) is also just doing what he's got to do. Don't hate on a brotha for trying.

Besides, you don't want your niece's future husband to have a bad driving record now do you? I'd hate for you to have to chaperone them on dates just because he can't drive.

Last edited:
Back