No spark????

dudster

Well here goes. I got up this morning for work and my 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L would not start. I removed a fuel hose from the injectors and when I went to the on position with my key I would get a squirt of fuel out. So I pulled the coil wire off to check for spark, no spark. I did the only thing that I knew of at the time and went and got a new coil, well guess what, still no spark. This is my first Jeep so I didn't know about some of the other things involved until now. I took the camshaft position sensor out and put it in a friends Jeep and it started. Is the camshaft position sensor is the black disc inside the distributor with the wire harness attached? If so that is what I took out. Do I look into my crankshaft position sensor next? Is there a way to take a volt/ohm meter to it and check it to make certain or am I just faced with removing and replacing it? Thank you for your input.

Hi

I'd look into the Crankshaft Position sensor. It would be hard to test, however, unless you have something that can accurately read quick pulses of low voltage power.

-Nick :!:

The wire harness on the crankshaft positioning sensor usually goes bad before the magnetic sensor. (THATs what happened to me) Try giggling the connector and see if your jeep will fire up. The CPS is one of the first thing the computer checks before sending a spark. Its a 40 part that I got at the dealer. You might be able to get it aftermarket, but I could not locate one.

It was my sensor. I got one at autozone for $50, they can test them there too. Advance Auto wanted $118 for the thing, I hope it doesn't got out again soon. Also while changing it I found it easier to remove the front driveshaft for the added arm room. I wish I could have had a second elbow installed too so that I could easily reach around that stuff. Thanks for your input, it was greatly appreciated. I love this site.

Back