Soft top not fitting

TrailRatedRN

My '06 unlimited has never been a prob. I got to AZ in jan, put the top down in feb and it has been down until today. When I attempted to put it on, it refused to line up. It lined up at the windshield, but when I got to the release pins (above the doors) the top's frame was a good 2" above the pin! On both sides.

I put the top down. Check fasteners. No prob found. No bends or dents visible in hardware. I got a neighbor to assist putting top up to make sure I lined up just right and I still got the same gap. I had to have the top on, so I hung from the bar like it was a jungle gym in order to pull the hole into the release pin. When I got to the back, the panels were several inches from the jeep. My neighbor pulled down on the top so I could attach the panels to the jeep.

WTF is happening? The only time it was harder to put the top on was my first time when I didn't know what I was doing. Does AZ weather do this? Am I shrinking from the desert sun?

I need it on for the next couple days. Driving back and forth to Phoenix and need to look, well, not wind blown by 70mph for 3hrs of interstate travel. I am a girl and I have girly hair and a job that requires me to look professional. Lol. I'll take it down again by week's end, but I am driving to OH in April and I am not going full Monty for 2000 interstate miles with a jeep full of housewares and a dog. I have no want to require 2 ppl to get this top on. I hope to find a solution to this ill fitting soft top madness :(

PS
I'm in Yuma AZ. I think we made it to 60 today. I'm a traveling nurse with my official home address in Springboro, OH. I travel the country. :D

Well if you're cute and single, I have the top on my jeep...:roll::roll::roll: (joking)

I don't know how to help you I've only had a Jeep for a month and I have a hard top......and I live with my girlfriend.

Maybe a jeep dealer in that area could help you fit the top on? I live in cincinnati, OH if you still need some help when you get home. Im not real familiar with the TJ tops, but ive put on several YJ and CJ tops though. It's hard to tell you what the problem is with out actually seeing it. If you could post a pic of whats going on, im sure someone on here can help.

Sounds like the warmer weather indeed may have "tightned" it up some.Normally though,warm should help it to stretch.

When my LJ did this, I discovered that the support straps that run under the inside of the top from the back to the middle. Had twisted around the cross member. Effectively shortening them, and leaving the top 2 inches high at the door pin points. I just straightened the straps, and the top fell into place.

My '06 unlimited has never been a prob. I got to AZ in jan, put the top down in feb and it has been down until today. When I attempted to put it on, it refused to line up. It lined up at the windshield, but when I got to the release pins (above the doors) the top's frame was a good 2" above the pin! On both sides.

I put the top down. Check fasteners. No prob found. No bends or dents visible in hardware. I got a neighbor to assist putting top up to make sure I lined up just right and I still got the same gap. I had to have the top on, so I hung from the bar like it was a jungle gym in order to pull the hole into the release pin. When I got to the back, the panels were several inches from the jeep. My neighbor pulled down on the top so I could attach the panels to the jeep.

WTF is happening? The only time it was harder to put the top on was my first time when I didn't know what I was doing. Does AZ weather do this? Am I shrinking from the desert sun?

When you put the top up first connect the pins behind the doors to hold it into place. Be sure the cross member is not under the top frame. The part with the little plastic U shaped black/Grey plastic. This sits on top of the frame. From there connect the two back corners then the front. After this install the side windows, back window. Lastly clip in the strips in the door surround.
You may have to be sure the temp is above 65 and keep it in the sun so the material stretches.

I discovered that the support straps that run under the inside of the top from the back to the middle. Had twisted around the cross member. Effectively shortening them, and leaving the top 2 inches high at the door pin points. I just straightened the straps, and the top fell into place

Had the same thing happen the first few time I tried the soft top back when I first bought my Jeep.

When you put the top up first connect the pins behind the doors to hold it into place. Be sure the cross member is not under the top frame. The part with the little plastic U shaped black/Grey plastic. This sits on top of the frame. From there connect the two back corners then the front

Yeah, you should always start at the back. I put the front pins in place but don't lock them down until after everything else it locked down.

Cannot wait to put the soft top on!! (Don't have back windows and don't like freezing in the am, so I wait until Memorial Day weekend for the soft top)

PEACE!!!

The video that came with the jeep said to start by clipping, but not closing, the latches at the windshield to ensure proper alignment. Jeep official troubleshooting techniques mentions all of these; the two bow alignment on the side bow, the possible twisting of the retaining straps. All of these things are in order, as far as I can tell. It's weird. I put it on in Ohio in January with all the ease in the world. The very next time I put it up, two months later, it takes my whole body weight to make it move. The only variable i can imagine is AZ is so dry and sandy. Whereas OH is humid. I can't see that making so much of a difference. I'll try again come week's end.

As mentioned, make sure everything is in place and not jammed, but I think it just shrunk from being down for a while. Assuming it's a sunny day in AZ, put it up as much as you can then let it sit in the sun for a couple hours before you try to lock it down. I got a new top last year and had to do that to get it on.

I misread this your in AZ now not Ohio. OOPS!
Az warmer climate should keep the top pliable.
I'll post pic later of the inside of mine if it helps.

The video that came with the jeep said to start by clipping, but not closing, the latches at the windshield to ensure proper alignment. Jeep official troubleshooting techniques mentions all of these; the two bow alignment on the side bow, the possible twisting of the retaining straps. All of these things are in order, as far as I can tell. It's weird. I put it on in Ohio in January with all the ease in the world. The very next time I put it up, two months later, it takes my whole body weight to make it move. The only variable i can imagine is AZ is so dry and sandy. Whereas OH is humid. I can't see that making so much of a difference. I'll try again come week's end.
Just a thought but it may be worth a try, hose it down with hot water as it hangs on your jeep and see if that helps stretch it into place.

IMG_0092-1.jpg

IMG_0090-1.jpg

IMG_0089-1.jpg

Alright. I've finally gotten around to taking pics I have several to show you how things look.

Right and left windows. You can see no puckering but they were hard as hell to zip.

Right and left inside straps. As I said no twisting, or snagging. Looks just the same as it has for the last five years.

Drip rail at windshield.

More pics to come

Attachments

• image-2956475560.jpg
    image-2956475560.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 313
  • image-2997384360.jpg
    image-2997384360.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 344
  • image-250190971.jpg
    image-250190971.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 452
  • image-3982728041.jpg
    image-3982728041.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 370
  • image-1194690794.jpg
    image-1194690794.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 381
Bow from each side. And the quick release shown attached

Attachments

• image-385917429.jpg
    image-385917429.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 503
  • image-1202677605.jpg
    image-1202677605.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 376
  • image-9344517.jpg
    image-9344517.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 414

Finally, if I disconnect the quick release pin, this is about as cose as I can get it toward the mechanism without enlisting some help

Until this most recent encounter, I have been able to click that pin in place like I was closing a door.

Attachments

• image-2029089876.jpg
    image-2029089876.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 447
Back